Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

On the main site that pretty much none of us check, it was written that thinness and edge accuracy were the reasons for the switch:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4916

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I was reading the comments on this on a preview. And there maybe another reason.

That click to start OneNote and screenshots? Would that even be possible with wacom technology? (I'm a wacom noob, so, humour me!) The N-trig pen has a battery and thus can easily send out signals on its own (and does, even).

Steve S Comments: The Pro 3 pen contains two types of batteries, and uses BlueTooth 4.0 connectivity. These two facts suggest that the OneNote functionality is separate from the pen's hover / inking functionality. It's possible that N-trig's tech was easier to integrate with the OneNote function than Wacom's would have been, but that might not have been a significant factor. I believe that the N-trig tech offered a thinner design solution and that explains why it was chosen.

---

Oh, that's another reason I need to have this tablet! I still have a AAAA battery left from when I had to replace the original one from my Flyer's pen... (they only came in a packet of two, I needed only one and that one is still going strong...)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are these available to fondle at a Microsoft store? If not, when will they be on display? I just got an email that my local kiosk is turning into a full store and having a grand opening tomorrow, would be a good day to fondle the sp3 and put in a pre order.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The updated info on Post 1 is accurate, not leaked per se, but insider info....;)

demandarin likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    czm2000 and uncaringbear like this.
  6. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

As a wacom user from long time ago with 5 or 6 tablets on my back and now being a user of n-trig, all can I say is that at least for me wacom sx balls.

ntrig response is better, pressure works better, accuracy is miles away from wacom and the screen border problems and if I had a choose to user one or other in one device, I'll choose blindly ntrig.

I also don't draw or use photoshop, but for my use -productivity- ntrig blows away wacom, so I'm happy they are becoming the standard

7. Pwned-Surface

Pwned-Surface Pen Pal - Newbie

demandarin likes this.
  8. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I placed my pre order (SP3&type cover) last night with a debit card, and I just checked my banking transaction records. There are 2 records with amount zero..does this imply that the order would be cancelled by MS? or is the zero amount normal for pre orders?

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From my extensive experience with both techs N-Trig has come a long way and while Wacom still has a slight advantage when it comes to "pen response" N-Trig is far more accurate. That's been my experience.

Sent from my GS4

10. dk0r

dk0r (x+7)² ≠ (x²+49)

I agree with you but if the n-trig performs well then I'm willing to adapt.
    My concern w/ adapting to no-eraser is whether the other button will be customizable.
    A couple of the SP3 youtube reviews have stated that the second (non-erase) button defaults to copy, but those same reviewers erroneously state that the pen is wacom based. I would expect the second button to default to lasso --we'll see.

I've had the same experience on the latest n-trig based devices (sony vaio flip, dell venue, acer r7) as well. N-trig nibs sound/feel like steel on glass and, unlike Wacom, no one produces alternative nibs to aleviate such issues. I need these:
    [​IMG]
    https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/ACK20002/

Last edited: May 21, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.