Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

None of this is too surprising until updates came through the hard keyboards on the atom tablets were stopping the systems going into CS properly and hence causing the drain. Even if other models are affected Sp3 and CS will be the main reason they've now updated it all of a sudden.

Either way this isn't the problems thread.

Very happy with my SP3 so far.in my first couple of days.

I can see why artists might want to stick to the SP2 though, it doesn't bother me and I don't actually notice it during regular use but I can see how the hover lag would bother some. In some programs seems like you have to press pretty hard to get the pressure sensitivity and of course when you do you see the screen flexing which is not good and distracting. Again for my usage I don't need that much pressure sensitivity but again for some I can see why that would be an issue.

From an inking point of view I am actually finding this more enjoyable than the SP2. Feels more fluid and natural. In portrait mode (or when e-reading) new size aspect ratio just makes perfect sense. Only thing I miss is somewhere to dock the pen, the tab they give you with the TC3 is a very poor solution
    The tablet does get warm easily though, when you look at how thin the thing is I can't see broadwell addressing some of these areas, this convinces me more and more that SP4 will just be more optimisations with broadwell included.

The typecovers just keep getting better, loving the TC3. In the past I've still taken a proper wireless KB and BT mouse with me when I've travelled for extended periods with work where I need to be at optimum productivity. Will still take the BT mouse but I won't be needing the KB anymore, carving it up with the TC3. My only gripe would be I wish they would change the material, it is less pronounced with the coloured ones but they all get dirty or marked so easily. Needs to be a more dirt or markings resistant material especially since they are often flipped around and layed down in places. .

2. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

3. steph4

steph4 Pen Pal - Newbie

be77solo likes this.
  4. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. steph4

steph4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope. I'm still waiting for my i7 to be shipped... But I'm a little bit worried about this throttle problem.

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I am going to give it a try, but it might take lots of experiments. According to other folks, the thermal and throttling profile changed after 7/8 firmware update. I agree with this based on my observation...It seems less constrained than before. Got a little optimistic on the throttling issue.

7. steph4

steph4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great. Thanks to let met know if it's a good solution.

I admit that my number 1 fear is to pay 1600$ for something less powerful than the SP2..
    I've read a lot of complains about the throttling issue.

Haven't read that the 7/8 firmware has changed anything though... Did you read it on this forum ?

8. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree 100% with your post, and will try the XTU tweaks on my i5 SP3 as well... I'm impressed with their 3Dmark11 score increase, as I've tested both my i5 SP2 and SP3 and 1000+ is right around SP2 territory (SP3 is 800ish). The i5 SP3 is noticeably slower in CPU/GPU intensive scenarios out of the box than the SP2.... hopefully firmware updates fix this but who knows!

The throttling of the SP3 IS my biggest complaint, and as I was very happy with the SP2, I was shocked that the SP3 is actually slower. I'm currently using an i5 SP3, but have an i7 on order; I'm hoping the i7 with HD5000 (which has 40 EU's instead of the i5's 20EU's) offset the throttling issues.... but, we won't know till we can try it! Unfortunately, I struggle to think it will be faster than the SP2 in serious usage (it will absolutely be faster in simple burst usage), but I'm hoping to match it's performance with the i7 version.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  9. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

When I reset my SP3, I had to update the first firmware again. Why is that?
    Every device I had, when I updated the firmware, no factory reset would revert it.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

10. Ti22tt

Ti22tt Pen Pal - Newbie

I had that just happen to me today. Unfortunately it appeared to install old 5/15 WiFi drivers so my slow WiFi connection problem is now back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.