Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

1. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

2. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

The only problem is the Surface charger outputs 5V and 12V, The Anker device is capable of the 12V output, but the 5V would have to come from the USB output, so now you'd have to kludge some sort of dual output cable that taps the USB and main outputs.

This site has some Surface 3 external batteries and car charges available for pre-order, but are uber-expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you sure the SP3 actually requires 5v. I thought it was only 12v and the 5v was for the USB port on the charger.

Terry

4. lancorp

Not sure. Just looking at the charger specs, but you might be right that the 5V is just for the USB output...or, maybe not. :)

5. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

After a week I am very happy with this. I don't seem to be the typical user. I haven't used it for note taking, but make look into that. I watched movies while traveling, utilized standard office products and edited files. Performed large file transfers across the network and did a lot of web surfing.

I connected a mouse with the USB which is easier than the trackpad, but I really had no issues with the trackpad when I did use it. I liked being able to left and right click in the track pad.

I am not a great typer, but I had no issues using the keyboard. Was quite happy with it.

The keyboard came off and went back on pretty easy, the magnets guide it.

I used the kickstand at various levels and had no issues

I did not do a battery test, but after watching a two hour movie and doing about an hours worth of web surfing etc I had 70% left on the battery

I have not yet gotten a screen protector, but plan to

I put it in a sleeve and then slipped it into a padded compartment in my briefcase. Not sure if the sleeve is redundant, but figured the extra protection is worth it

I have not had any lockups or issues, but I haven't been using it intensely.

The display is amazing

The power cord connects easily

I bought it because I wanted the Surface Pro 3, not because I needed it. The Dell Venue Pro 11 supported what I was doing, but I won't go back now :)

6. lancorp

For most of what you use the SP3 for, the Atom-based V11 Pro with mobile keyboard would give equivalent use for about 1/3 the price of the SP3 ($1450 with keyboard).

But, like you said, you got it because you wanted it, and that's good! :) Most people here seem to be more "value oriented" trying to save every last penny and getting the best value possible in a device to accomplish a particular set of tasks.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If you do not need pen input (other than use as a portable mouse) then the best value on the planet is an Elitepad 900. 64 GB versions are going for less than $200 now and then you can add the fantastic Productivity Sleeve (uh, keyboard with USB, HDMI, and SD Card Slot - Edit: I'll have to check on that HDMI because it may only be on the productivity sleeve. Edit_1: no HDMI , just 2 USB ports and a full size SD Card slot) for $125 and you have one unbelievable rugged and thin and light machine. Just the sort of thing that can tide you over for another year and wait for sharper light bulbs in the toolshed....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I did the same thing, my dell is now on eBay. I find that the SP3 is not surprisingly much quicker in doing all tasks compared to the dell so while the dell might suffice and the expense wont make sense to a lot of people its worth it for the build and overall quality and performance. Still debating if my Asus will follow the dell to eBay, might be useful to have a spare Windows tablet around.

be77solo likes this.
  9. lancorp

I seriously don't know how people can afford to sell anything on ebay. Almost 15% in fees (adding in Paypal). I sold an expensive laptop on ebay recently and was SHOCKED at how much I gave to ebay and paypal. Since they are the same company and ebay requires Paypal payment, seems like they are double-dipping.

I can't decide if I'd rather be raped (by ebay with fees) or mugged (by someone from Craigslist). :eek:

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd steer away from that, it's got clovertrail on it and the difference between that and baytrail is night and day IMO. If I was going to go back to clovertrail I'd just grab a TPT2, I see them for $250 and less all the time, that was one awesome little tablet that had everything. I wish mine didn't break, as I should have just kept that until something better came out, which hasn't yet.

The Dell11p can regularly be had for $250 or so if you watch for the sales. There is actually a 30% off sale at the outlet for refurb units, some lucky people got them for $250. The only ones left are $409 which works out to about $314 after the discount, still pretty phenomenal price.