Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, I had no idea. That's a great deal! Meanwhile, for the past two weeks the OP stated 'no discounts on pre-orders'. Oops!

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ok what are the thoughts here for the $300 difference from the 128/4gb to the 256/8gb... is it worth it or should I stick with the 128/4 model I have on order. Personally was thinking about the extra ram and hdd just incase I need it (since I cant add it later)

3. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

the lower memory would probably work. I already have a 128GB micro card I will install.

This has worked with my Dell Venue Pro 11 with 64GB. There are a few things I haven't loaded

However,
    since I am spending so much I wanted it to last so I went with the 256GB and 8GB of RAM. I do run some video editing on my desktop and may end up using the surface pro

I over built my desktop (Built myself) several years ago with an I7 and 16GB of RAM and haven't regretted it. I also installed 2 TB drives and haven't maxed them out yet

4. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

At my local msoft store. First hands on, using fresh paint. No gripes with pressure, however I too noticed the puddling issue when I pressed down on the pen to get the heaviest lines. The friction kickstand is a little too stiff, I feel like im gonna break it, as if its not supposed fold out. The satisfying click when you open it is completely gone. The tablet is thin and light. Here are some photos from my hands on.

Extra: pen clip does not touch the screen at all when you clip it to the hinge of the type cover ;)

20140607_155820.jpg
    20140607_160040.jpg

Ill be here for an hour. Let me know if u guys want me to test out anything in particular or take some photos.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    demandarin likes this.
  5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I actually wondered for a while why you did not update it...and I forgot to say it out..
    In fact on the pre order day, I chatted with a MS rep and she said student discounts will not apply to SP3 pre order..And the link directed to SP3 did not have student discount applied automatically like other MS store products (however for type cover it was...). I modified the link a little so I could get into the page with discounted price and placed the order, then used the GRADUATION code. I thought others did not know this and did reply to the thread with this trick; however later I found someone else who says he pre ordered with student discount with no problem, and I thought maybe it was only me who needed to modify the link...So I deleted my own reply...
    Boring story lol....And days later MS opened the discount on SP3..

There is discussion on the heat and cooling...maybe you can run a CPU intensive (since HD4600 is integrated in CPU) game and see how hot it becomes? Thanks!

6. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont think there are any game preloaded onto the display units...

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

If I'm not mistaken, there is a couple hundred dollar difference between SP3s and MBAs when you get models that match specwise. For example, the lowest configured i5 MBA is still a little cheaper than the i3 SP3 with Type Cover. So even the high priced MBA is more cost effective than the SP3. And again, as I've stated before, I think the group that would benefit from this device the most are students (at all levels) and they are absolutely priced out of this unless they come from a background with a lot of money. But let me stop with this argument because it seems like I'm hating on the SP3, and I'm not. I actually like it.

I just don't think it is what they market it as. I don't think it replaces both tablets and laptops. I do it looks pretty close to the perfect tablet though.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In the theater, giant 3D place, just about 15 people showed up for Edge of Tomorrow. First, the SP3 commercial is positively dizzying on such a giant screen, even in 2D. And second, out of those 15 people I could hear at least two go 'huh!'. I think this commercial might work.

demandarin likes this.
  9. longhorn

longhorn Pen Pal - Newbie

JoeS and lonaysta like this.
  10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do not know if anyone has posted this,
    Lisa from MobileTech has posted a preview
    video of the Surface 3.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3 First Look Review - YouTube

They did not send her a review unit, it looks like
    they went to a store and used the display unit for