Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is true for most Smartcards, but what I'm referring to is when they are in their Building or on the road or at home they leave them in the reader.

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Are those high end laptops the scientists you know machines they bought or machines from their company. Because I know I have a high end machine that has stats comparable to the highest configuration of the SP3, but I know for a fact my company didn't pay close to 2Gs for it.

Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to say professionals don't care about the price. Professionals with huge budgets to work with don't care. Most business owners aren't in that position. Anyway, the SP line is great from a tech standpoint, but they certainly aren't selling like the normal Surface line and that's not because of lack of functionality. It's totally because of the price.

3. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

jl199954 and Mesosphere like this.
  5. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

collage.jpg

Hey guys I went to the Microsoft store website this morning and saw these crazy discounted prices. So I called up my local store to confirm, but they told me they were seeing the regular prices. Whats the deal?

6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No I hear what you are saying, there is a reason 96% of ipad owners also own a laptop. Maybe it's not as MS thinks that before the SP there wasn't a good alternative. Maybe it's simply consumers don't want to mix these 2 functionalities. We can only see what the market does. MS didn't market very well the first 2 generations, but this time it's pushing very hard and it's singing the right tune IMO, lets see if it works.

In terms of that "decision" though the only thing that you are wanting for is a keyboard, that's it as far as I can tell. Because everything else is virtually the same except the keyboard and as I mentioned I really honestly don't feel that much of a difference from a MacBook air keyboard to a SP3 keyboard. I think a large part of it is just hype because as a society we love to hype and report on that hype.

In terms of myself, I still prefer to carry one device over 2. Still prefer to secure one device over 2. Etc etc. The ipad IMO is a poor tablet, kinda funny to hear that but I have believed that since the first one came out. The MacBook air is a poor laptop because I can't detach the screen and it has no touchscreen or pen input. So why would I carry around 2 inferior devices to try and equal one superior one? Once again this is my use, I can't say which way the market will decide. But Apple has done such a phenomenal job convincing everyone they are stupid and need iOS to consume content and as a companion to their laptop that MS has an uphill battle to climb. It's funny because for every person Apple converts to the stupid wagon, they want that person to ALSO buy a mac laptop. Also I don't understand the price comment, an ipad and a MacBook air is more than the mid tier SP3 alone even with a keyboard.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Telstar1948 likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Looks like they've opened up the 10% discount for students on the SP3:
    Microsoft Student Discount - Save 10% at the Microsoft Store

Edit: although they clearly advertise the discount (see pic below), I don't see how to get that discount. If anyone figures out the steps (bribing the phone rep?) please post so I can update the OP.

SP3-student-discount.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

9. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Some of us pre ordered SP3 the on May 21st with student discount and graduation coupon code. My i5/8G/256G has a $1069.1 pre tax price..(1299.99*90%-100)

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Macs are everywhere you look and they start around the same price as the SP3 with a type cover. Many people must have the money.

As for in my profession. Usually it is bought with grant money. Can't speak to other fields and where the money comes from, but, again, any time you see a MacBook, that person could have afforded a surface pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.