Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would think the move to N-Trig helps. I also wonder if not having a separate digitizer layer also helped make it thinner?

2. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

Ouch, the i7's aren't out till August...

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anandtech says it's the same battery as the sp2.

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally, a SP as light as my Q702 and a bigger screen. And 3:2 aspect ratio!!!

When the pen is thicker than the device, guess what? No silo. Looked at the Samsung ATIV and the pen was so small, couldn't see ever using it for real work.

5. uncaringbear

uncaringbear Pen Pal - Newbie

The 3:2 screen is stunning. There's no comparison to the hideous little 16:9 screen on the SP1 and SP2. Along with the improved battery life and the nicer form factor, it really seems like the SP3 is better in every way when it comes to productivity potential.

But then there's the giant fly in the ointment being the switch to N-Trig. I'm going to try to stay optimistic about this. N-Trig has improved in the past year, and I'll be very, very interested in seeing how it works out with the SP3.

6. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting insights, thanks. I'll just stick with the 128GB, wont be doing anything too complex so no need to go for the more expensive option.

7. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I would say 'yes', and it also likely enabled the elimination of the 'parallax' effect or whatever it was called. When I wrote my comparison of the different digitizers I could not figure out what to call the perceived depth of the way the pen works. It is likely due to the digitizer being below the screen. The N-trig layer is on top.

With N-trig v3.5 or higher the system should work well. The tech has come a long way since v1 or v2. I would not hesitate given how well it works on the Q702. The only thing I would be concerned about is the touch performance and the transition between touch and pen. It looked good in the video, however.

Steve S Comments: N-trig says that the pen is improved over the pen supplied with the Sony Tap 11. I have used that pen and was very impressed with it at the time; I found it to be very accurate, too. "Clicky" noise as you inked was hardly noticeable. As dceggert says above, N-trig has made major strides in recent years. Interestingly, earlier active N-trig pens are also said to work with the Pro 3, although the Pro 3 will work best with its own pen (of course).

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

There are few things I noticed:

There is no announcement for Surface 3 RT. Can we assume that Windows 8 RT is dead.

Steve S Comments: I wouldn't make that assumption. Microsoft vowed that they would support RT for at least four years, and there are now many RTs out in the wild. I think you can expect Microsoft to keep their promise...

The pen allows you to automatically access One Note. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of putting a password on the device? Anybody can access your personal information now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Having used the Q702 for over a year, I concur. Only issue with the Q702's N-trig is temperature extremes. Goes nuts when it's cold. If you plan to use in outside environment, user beware. Hope MS has fixed that with the SP3.

dceggert likes this.
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So is there a breakdown of which models can be ordered with 8gb? I think I've settled on the i5/128gb version as it seems like a good compromise between price and functionality. I'd be curious if I can get it with 8gb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.