Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstoller

mstoller Pen Pal - Newbie

I've created most of those threads - except for the Surface mini one and the Lapability (thought I'd save that one for later....).
    Now I just have to find the time to add useful content or at least an inflammatory comment to all of those threads.
    Hopefully this organizes the SP3 discussion a bit.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

One way to do this is to go through this thread, and when you spot an insightful comment, hit 'reply with quote'. The text that shows up in the reply box includes the name of the author. If you then make a new post in your dedicated threads and paste all of that, it will show as a 'quote' that includes the name of the poster that made the comment. That way people get credit for their ramblings. :)

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

THIS is the single best piece of advice that one can GIVE or GET (I suffer the paralysis of analysis, but to the chagrin of retailers, I take it out on them by tasting the produce first).

Sure as the world, we are going to see an SP4 or SP5 that looks almost exactly like the Intel Llama Mountain reference design - thinner than an iPad Air, Broadwell (Core I) processor, 8gb RAM, 256gb storage, solid keyboard cover with total thickness at 1/2", improved touch cover that is ultra thin (total device thickness with it being .35") and we'll all be going gaga for it...don't deny yourself the use of a very great current design chasing rainbows across the greener grass on the other side (wow, how's that for Friday morning cheesy prose).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    demandarin likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It is sure getting tough around here...

Kick_me.jpg

Doggie and SAM 2013 like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A Taiwanese company has a new maglev keyboard based on magnets that is only two millimeters thick or so. You get the tactile feedback of a mechanical keyboard with the thickness of a Touch Cover.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a question.

They have featured the NTrig pen's clicky thing cueing up the
    computer, turninig on OneNote from up to 15'

If there are more than one Surface 3 in the room,
    will cueing your own, also turn on everyone elses
    within the 15' range?
    (circa, the old garage door openers that would open
    everyone elses when you opened your own)

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It does this through Bluetooth and is pared with the SP3

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Speaking of Broadwell Core M and going gaga, I just saw this and it's impressive.

[​IMG]

That's the Broadwell-Y / Core M 'motherboard' versus the MacBook Air Haswell motherboard.

Almost as big a difference there as from the Surface Pro 2 one:

[​IMG]

to the Surface Pro 3 one:

[​IMG]

Edit: Also some tidbits with regards to timing, for those who might be reluctant for the Pro 3 based on Broadwell coming soonish:

http://www.zdnet.com/computex-2014-more-details-on-intels-broadwell-7000030270/

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  9. Diversion

Diversion Pen Pal - Newbie

So in a sense we're all going to shoot ourselves in the foot by picking up a SP3 when we will see incredibly more powerful and better battery life by the end of the year with Broadwell ULV cpus. 40% faster and 40% more battery life? Insane.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, let's keep in mind that if it wasn't what they say it is, it wouldn't be the first time Intel has over-promised and under-delivered. :D

Also, they probably mean 40% faster than the current Haswell-Y series anyway... which would still make it a bit slower than the current 4300U in the Pro 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.