Surface Pro 3 camera - awful

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by wataru, Jun 29, 2014.

1. TruthZyme

TruthZyme Pen Pal - Newbie

I can do that on a bus and in hospital waiting areas with my SamsungPC ( But I don't need to because the Sammy has a proper AutoFocus camera) sending the image via either Sammy's SIM card when there is no wi-fi or BlueTooth when there's no mobile network signal.

Neither of those methods work with my shiny new Surface Pro 3. It doesn't have a SIM slot and it refuses to accept images via Bluetooth from my Windows Phone. I have also now mislaid the Pen.

The ultimate work-a-round for the crossword problem is simple. I just buy two newspapers and a pack of disposable pens and leave my tablet at home. However, that isn't the point. My crossword ritual is merely a place-holder for many situations in which the ability to annotate rapidly acquired, high resolution images would be very useful.

I am left wondering if the marketing obsession with thickness ( or the lack of it) is at the root of this problem. Increasing the thickness of the Surface by a few mm would not, in itself add much to either the weight or the convenience and it would permit the inclusion of a proper camera and a storage port for the pen. I now cringe whenever I hear Microsoft banging on about how thin the surface is. That is not a virtue! Trading a proper camera and a place to store the pen for a few mm of thickness is, to my mind, crazy. This magnificent ship is spoiled for the proverbial "hapeth of tar".

antonioz likes this.
  2. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

I AGREE WITH YOU, SIR!

I am also a teacher (in a primary school). I'm going to sent back mine too & waiting a SP4 for the same reason! The Asus VivoTab Note 8 (350€ tablet) camera is better than a TabletPc of 819€. I can't accept this as teacher! Microsoft have to employ the camera with 8mpx, autofocus & flash led!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

You could provide Wi-Fi to the SP3 with your phone if your plan supports tethering, so the SP3 can access Onedrive to synch the Onenote file. Next there is connecting with a USB cable of course but less than practical I agree.

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the same problem. I usually scan documents using the MD Scan app from the metro store, but with the surface pro 3 can't because everything on the paper comes out blurred. Who makes a business machine without that basic feature. What other possible use did they envisage of the camera? It's not a deal breaker though, just a stupid oversight.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

5. efroh

efroh Pen Pal - Newbie

Seriously, the SP3 could have been a god-tier device. God-Tier. As it is it's simply great. But man, Microsoft was SO CLOSE. Why they decided to cheap out on on the cameras I will never understand.

wiidesire-2 likes this.
  6. antonioz

Has someone tried Logitech Hd Pro c920webcam? It could be perfect, but how to make it as first principal camera in OneNote modern to take speedily picturea with its 15mpxl carl zeiss?

7. antonioz

SO, i did a test with a very hold Creative Live! Cam Notebook Pro usbcamera. It has 2mpxl but great focus and take pictures very well for doc. The problem is only the pxl resolution. If I take speedely pictures from it, then I add pictures very fast in OneNote Desktop from Insert/Pictures :-D
    Now... How to make it the primary camera? I ask because of OneNote Modern; it has always SP3 rear camera as principal camera & only it can have OneNote Modern fantastic "document's setting".
    Come on! Can we make a usbCamera the principal OneNote Modern Camera? o_O:eek:

I can imagine SP3 with Logitech Pro C920 15mpx Carl Zeiss :oops::rolleyes::D:cool::)

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried disabling the Surface camera in device manager? I have a gut feeling that if you disable the internal camera, Apps will start recognizing external USB camera. I have tried these USB cameras on laptops without webcams, and they seem to work in Apps and perhaps Onenote too.

9. bugmenot1

bugmenot1 Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So here is a little tidbit for those of you frustrated with the SP3 camera. Don't know if this is available in the US but here goes.
    In Japan you can buy gift cards for the Windows Store. I just purchased a 5000 yen card ($50) when I removed the silver seal to reveal the code it ripped of part of the paper (Amazon and Google sell plastic cards so this won't happen). The firs cluster of numbers and letters where gone. So I called the Windows Store support and told them about this. They were very supportive and promised to enter the 5000 yen into my account. I then received an e-mail asking me to send in pictures of the card and receipt. Guess what camera I used?