Surface Pro 3 camera - awful

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by wataru, Jun 29, 2014.

1. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

I see, ty for your input. So it doesnt help about the Surface's focus problem.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Nope, Office Lens isn't a Windows App (at least currently).

3. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

crap, I may end up returning the yet received sp3, and wait for sp4, too many issues.

4. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

There isn't one...maybe Microsoft do copy and paste from a Surface Mini manual as suspected by some.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe the camera app features depend on the camera hardware present. I know the Surface 2 has a feature that the Pro 2 doesn't have for example... can't remember what it is though.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Maybe it's just me, but I could swear that I've seen a Panorama icon...>>
    <<...There isn't one...>>

...I went back and verified that's true. But I also know that I've seen the icon; I have a clear picture of it in my mind. I could swear that I saw it on one of the Pro 3's that I've handled...?!??

<<...I know the Surface 2 has a feature that the Pro 2 doesn't have...>>

...They look the same, as far as I can tell. (There is a Panorama function, but the icon is slightly different than the one that I remember.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just looked it up because it was bothering me. It might have since been removed, but this is what I was referring to on the Surface 2 that was never on the Pro 2:

Microsoft Surface 2 review: Camera | Tablets Reviews | TechRadar

It was apparently called Photo Loop.

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Panorama feature does depend on the camera hardware. It's also not present on my TPT2, and when I asked about it in the Microsoft forums, a Microsoft employee wrote:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. TruthZyme

TruthZyme Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm with the Insurance Assessors and I'm there in that "corner" in spades. It's very crowded in this corner - here's why:

For over a year now I have been doing a crossword puzzle in a daily newspaper. My well established routine is to take a photograph of the puzzle with my Samsung smartPC tablet, import it into One-note and use the stylus to enter my attempts at solution. Meanwhile, another person who is recovering from a stroke ( so the crossword enterprise isn't just an idle pastime, its valuable occupational therapy) uses the paper and a pen to enter her attempt. When the puzzle has been completed we compare our solutions and I return the stylus to the storage port in the PC and it locates out of harms way with a reassuring click.

On many other occasions, I have done what the Insurance Assessors do - taken close-up snaps of items of interest and annotate them in One-Note. I am a Mathematical Physicist and some of the items consist of detailed mathematical arguments. My Samsung PC is a magnificent tool for use in this corner that is surely shared with students all over the world.

I boasted about replacing my Samsung PC with a Surface Pro 3 because the screen is a significant improvement, the battery life is better and it is significantly lighter.

My i7 Surface pro 3 arrived last Thursday and we sat down for the Crossword Ritual. I couldn't get a readable image of the puzzle and we searched for settings that would bring it into focus. There isn't such a setting. Then I discovered this forum and I am now a laughing stock in the Crossword corner (Hence the cross words in this post). My expensive up-grade turns out to be a expensive down-grade in this crowded corner.

I have read many reviews of the Surface pro 3 and the fixed focus cameras were never mentioned. I now see that the User manual says that you don't have to worry about focus because it is fixed. That is diametrically opposite to the truth. You DO have to worry about the focus because the lens doesn't try to adjust it.

So please everyone, tell as many school children, students, teachers, crossword puzzlers, insurances assessors, mathematical physicists and stroke rehabilitation operatives that the Surface pro 3 camera will not function for them in their corner of the playing area.

I'm sending mine back and waiting for a 14 nM Surface pro 4 that I will not buy if this nonsense is perpetuated in that iteration of what could have been a magnificent step forward.

gcoupe and antonioz like this.
  10. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

You could install the Onenote app on your smartphone, take the picture of the CWP there, and then open onenote on the SP3 where it will then be available (thanks to cloud synching) for comfortable inking :)