Surface Pro 3 camera - awful

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by wataru, Jun 29, 2014.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's an incredible oversight / decision. This seems to be recurring. When the SP2 was announced they didn't update the camera to match the Surface 2 either. And now this. The SP3 still is a winner, but man, this would have been such a simple thing to implement. If focusing is perceived to be a problem, have a toggle 'fixed focus' on by default.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Here's an example comparison between the iPad camera...and the SP3 camera...>>

...This isn't an answer; you're just beating the same drum again. I think we all agree that you can't use the rear camera to image documents. You have made your point on this one corner of camera performance.

Is this is all that you have to contribute to the conversation?

GoodBytes likes this.
  3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wasn't saying it was an answer. I was showing it as an example, since you said the issue was overblown. The example lets people make up their own minds. That was my contribution to the conversation.

4. Steve S

<<...I was showing it as an example, since you said the issue was overblown...>>

My entire comment was:

"I think this issue has been a little overblown, at this point. While the rear camera may not be usable for "scanning" documents with 10 or 12 point font, the depth of field is, IMHO, adequate for many enterprise applications, including close-up images of damage on reasonably-sized things."

You will notice that I concede the issue of close-up document imaging. My larger point is that other than this one area, the cameras appear to be suitable for lots of things.

A regrettable design choice for Microsoft? Perhaps. Only "toys?" Completely useless? Not by a long shot...

Why don't we keep the conversation moving forward at this point?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. Steve S

A potential work-around for taking close-ups with Surface Pro 3; use the same add-on lenses that are popular with smartphones:

Photojojo iPhone and Android Lens Series - The Photojojo Store!

A macro lens like the one shown at this site should fix the rear camera's close focus issues. (Note that I didn't say this particular lens; a lens like it. It may take a bit of searching to determine what macro attachment lens works best.)

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

what win tablet w good pen has best camera and sound record? I heaRd fuji has bad sound record? new know how the 8 my win tablets compare

7. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone tried the app "Office Lens"?

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I use it daily....I love it

9. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

That means no focus problems with this app?

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Office Lens is a Windows Phone App, and my 1520 has 20MP Camera with Carl Zeiss Optics so no problems with focus....

I do the scan with my phone and it Syncs and is available on my SP3....