Surface Pro 3 - Battery Life

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mstoller, Jun 6, 2014.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, I meant NOT wake up from keypress.
    You do this from Device Manager, in the property of the keyboard.

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does this prevent the lid from waking the computer?

3. Sylara

Sylara Pen Pal - Newbie

Nearly 9 hours of battery life for me in my usage, and I'd guess most others in my situation, would be ideal and definitely not overblown ;p

I'm a full-time college student that is at school for a little over 10 hours straight. I go to our local State University, which was built a long time ago and the building I spend 90% of my time in was built over 20 years ago so basically they never thought of the growth of laptops and that many students might need power outlets. I'm lucky if there is even one available, and if there is I'm having to hope it's by a desk, and on top of that I have to hope no on else is already using it. Also because of this age of the building thing our commons area (like the lounge area or cafeteria it might be called) has only 4 outlets total and it's very rare to find any of those empty as others are quick to jump in to plug in a laptop or cellphone of their own.
    Sadly in my case being "techie" doesn't effect my plug in situation, it's a simple problem of supply and demand. Hopefully someday they'll have enough budget to upgrade some of our rooms to have more outlets (doubtful, this is a California University and we're not exactly flush with cash lol) but if they ever do it will be long after I graduate.

^_^;; Anyway, just sharing my usage habits to help broaden the scope of the type of people who are looking into using this!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Tams likes this.
  4. GoodBytes

It should not for laptops.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The tablet lids should function similar to laptop lids as far as I know. I haven't found a way to turn this off in Atom tablets though. Just turning it off in power settings never seems to work. Otherwise I can't see turning of key press to wake helping much unless you are turning on your tablet by accident by pressing the keys.

6. GoodBytes

My Surface Pro 2 doesn't turn on when on sleep, and the cover is open. This is good, as it avoid accident turn on while carrying, especially that the keyboard is not magnetically closed.

The 'wake up on lid open' is something you can't be change within Windows. It is a system firmware thing. The only thing you can adjust in Windows is to not to put the computer to sleep when the lid CLOSES.
    Not sure if if there is a way for Microsoft to be able to ignore this like it can with the keyboard or it is a hardware level implementation and there is nothing Windows can do.

7. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

After disabling sleep on lid close on my sp2, it also stopped waking with cover opening. It helped some of my standby battery drain. I still have occurrences though inexplicably. I'm worried to read this is occurring on some sp3 units as well. Whether my sp3 does this and whether or not I can disable connected standby etc to get a true sleep mode may make or break this purchase for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah for all its benefits connected standby is not without its problems for *some* people with just about every device that's used it. I feel pretty good though that MS working so closely with Intel they will nail any issues quickly whereas OEMs have to some degree been unable to either resolve the issues or resolve them in a timely manner.

Unless windows 8.1 changed things there were registry hacks to disable and set specific settings for CS back on windows 8.

9. Lildevillu

Lildevillu Pen Pal - Newbie

I just stopped by Microsoft. I was told that i7 has a bigger battery to ensure that the battery life is the same across the board! It's a beautiful machine and I'm excited to get mine.

10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I concur. I've just left university, but a lack if power sockets was a huge problem. The university updated the entire library, yet still had more seats with no sockets than those with them (and they couldn't afford to properly upgrade it).

While power sockets are more common, in many places I have been to this has been overshadowed by the increase in demand for them. Some people need at least two!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk