Surface PRO 3 battery life report.

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kontrol1, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Doc- I think my use case is close to yours. I've been getting near 9 hours on the SP2, and now SP3 actually seems even a little better. I have not been recording my time to the minute, but a pretty full charge makes it thru the entire day with room to spare. Today started at only 59% - was some browsing in the morning, 4 hours off and on at my desk in OneNote 2013. Afternoon was 2 client appointments (an hour more each of notes and displaying a .pdf), then a couple hours this evening of Outlook and browsing (yes, WAY too much TPCR!)

All that said, I do seem to keep it pretty dim, particularly at home I only need what looks like 25-30% on the slider. I'd say near 40-50% at work is plenty bright for me. This is just preference, no attempt to preserve battery.

Battery life is not an issue for me, seems like I'll get around 9 no problem.
    Power is not an issue. I haven't even heard my fan at all. A few long videos but no games I guess. I really considered the i3, but wanted the 8G for OneNote occasionally, and like you, if I don't spend the money, she will.

Pen- Still undecided on the pen, it is good no doubt, and seemed to get better with some of the updates. (Am I wrong that the hover cursor got smaller in OneNote Metro from day 1? It's much smaller now.) Just not sure it's better than the stellar SP2 pen, but again undecided. I actually liked the ultra lightweight of the SP2 pen, and the button which for me provided a gripping point. At first I thought that button obnoxious, but I had a bit of trouble clicking the flush buttons on the SP3 and Feel pens. I think alternate nibs & pens may solve this well.

Size is double edged- loving my new screen real estate, but at times it's almost too much (bed reading). I used my SP2 landscape in front of desktop keyboard, SP3 is finding it's way portrait to the right of the keyboard, but now my mouse is looking for a comfy home. Thinness is awesome. I do miss being able to palm the width.

I use my SP3 with my Lumia 1520. A pen on the Lumia and I'd be all set. The OneNote integration is so fast and awesome.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

I do not have a SP3, but I did post the multiple battery stress tests on this forum back in October. I now have the power cover, and today I decided to run a somewhat basic test while at work. I have the SP2 with battery cover running an external monitor at 2560x1440 along with its own screen at 100% brightness (auto brightness on though). I am at 11% remaining after pulling the plug 12:21 minutes ago. The SP3 could not pull this off since it does not have a power cover (yet), and that is why I did not buy one (yet). Yeeeeehaw!

3. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

interesting, they should be able to fix the audio service with an update then.

4. Nick52

Nick52 Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys , can anyone give me an update on how long does the battery last while using note taking on onenote , doing some web browsing and document edditing , all at arround 50% brightness ? Also, i believe there is no need for the 8gb version for that kind of usage, am i right ?

5. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

Another battery usage report. I've so far been pretty impressed with the battery life:

Finished watching a 720p mkv movie for 1h 45min using mobileHD metro app, and then did 2h15min of word process at about 40% brightness. Currently at 50%. At this rate, I can expect at least 8 hours, probably more, of battery life. This is far better than what I was getting on the SP2, which was ranging 6-7hrs

demandarin likes this.
  6. Quait

Quait Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the MPC-HC, best player I used (VLC has many stupid quirks...)
    I dont know about the power usage of this player though, I never tested batterylife with that player on my 700T.

Codec pack with the MPC-HC included, easiest to get everything in one go IMO.
    CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack
    And a site-note most likely for desktop PCs: madVR is an interesting upgrade to the MPC-HC, it switches alot of the needed performance to the GPU.

bkydcmpr likes this.
  7. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Welp, I can report that CS is working somewhat close to what it should be. See the below chart. I'm burning through 1% battery per hour then practically nothing when hibernating after 4 hours. CS spec is no more than 5% over 16 hours. Good enough. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Continuous use you should see 7-9 hours, if you set it aside occasionally during the day, 9-11 hours....

thetruth1983 likes this.
  9. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

How is Microsoft able to do this when the i5 model generally has the same components as the SP2? I assumed that any battery life gained by switching to N-trig would have been negated by the higher resolution display.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

They did it as they designed an efficient Connected Standby enabled device that is tuned in everyway to conserve battery without impacting 95% of their user base. The unfortunate side affect is the lack of sustained performance in PC gaming, some legacy creative applications, etc. (i.e. - the pages of complaints from the power user base with-in our own forum).

The SP3 was designed to address two of the biggest knocks of the SP1 and SP2; weight/girth and battery life.

thetruth1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.