surface pro 3 and connected standby power drain?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by motionfan, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

That it's my understanding as well...

2. jnjroach

Actually the opposite is true, part of the battery life is built on the fact or uses Connected Standby...

3. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Let me explain with my Ativ, if I left it unplugged overnight I would lose 5-10% battery life per hour. So if I didn't plug it in every night, it would die midway through the next day. There was no way to fix this, and it did not hibernate. So, that was miserable . Any ability to hibernate would keep me interested in the sp3.

4. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Same deal with the Venue 11. CS, in theory, is awesome. In application, I've never seen it really work well. The Venue 8, and T100 are ok, I guess, but no where near the 5% over 16 hours spec.

If they can make it happen with the SP3, I'd consider it a minor miracle.

5. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Hope they get it worked out. Also Paul Thurott of WinSupersite also mentions a day 1 update. Really like the feature on my TPT2, severely miss that going to an SP1.

6. jnjroach

Connected Standby issue is compounded when you install legacy Win32 Programs that refuse to suspend when the Power Management Driver attempts to enter CS. I've found the less legacy code you load the better it works...

7. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

No doubt. Unfortunately, the V11, V8 and T100TA references I made in my post were out-of-the-box OEM images. :(

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It of course depends on the device total battery life, but I'd personally rather see about 10 hours of Connected Standby before hibernate, so I hope (for future devices, I'm not getting the Pro 3) that this is configurable in power options... not one of the locked down settings there.

The reason I say this is I'd love to actually be able to use a tablet as an alarm clock on occasion. If it hibernates after 4 hours, that isn't a possibility (and most of these scenarios, it'd be plugged in and charging anyway).

The obvious response to that is 'use your phone as an alarm' but I usually sleep with the phone in arm's reach, and if an alarm goes off within arm's reach, it gets turned off before I even know that I turned it off in the morning. :D

gcoupe likes this.
  9. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My ThinkPad Tablet 2 uses Connected Standby, and in my case it works well. Admittedly, it will only reach Microsoft's target of 5% battery drain over a 16 hour period if I turn off NFC and WWAN, and just leave on the WiFi. With everything turned on, it causes 12% battery drain over a 16 hour period, which is acceptable (to me), but not the target.

I view Connected Standby as a good development, and wouldn't want to give it up in my next tablet, so I'm pleased that Microsoft has finally delivered it in the SP3 line.

10. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

In the past you could go deep in the registry and adjust the time till hibernation, I suspect this will still be possible.

Connected standby has a lot of potential and I've liked it in the past but I hope MS can get the driver issues that has plagued every other OEM right this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.