Surface Pro 3 Accessories thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 7, 2014.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Targus USB Universal Dock. I used to use one with my T580 since it did not come with a docking connector. It had video out, USB ports, audio, and Ethernet. My son uses it now away at college to project his screen onto his 42" TV.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can I ask why you probably won't skin the SP3? A change in preference?..>>

mp: The StickerBoy skin performed well; absolutely no problems with it. What I discovered is that I didn't need it. Perhaps because I am naturally careful, I've simply never incurred any damage on any of my Surface tablets (and I've owned every one).

Now, having said that, I am still a believer in insurance, so you won't hear me say that a screen protector, or a skin, or a sleeve / case is a bad investment. In fact, I always install a screen protector. But for whatever reason, I've found that I don't seem to need the protection of a skin. At least not at the moment...

<<...I wonder why stickerboy doesn't have any transparent skins?..>>

...Probably because you would then see the textured adhesive. It probably wouldn't look very attractive...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Any word as to when the dock will be available or does it just use the same one from the SP2?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That might work OK, but from what I understand something like that doesn't offer the same video frame rate / number of supported screens, and still requires a separate power connector to the SP3. First world problems, I know.

5. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Pen Pal - Newbie

it can't do that because the SP3 is a longer tablet and the dock snapped shut on the ends of the SP2. So there will have to be a new dock.

6. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

For a case- I'm envisioning a leather or felt legal pad like portfolio, but instead of a big plastic frame/clip in it it simply holds on via the magnets. Nice and lean. Maybe use double pen loops (one on back and one on front that line up for the stylus to go through both at the same time acting as a lock.

As far as the skin, I like to keep my machines as slim as possible and I'm pretty careful with them. I don't need bump/drop protection, I have a sleeve for that- but I do use the machine a lot flat on my desk. And although my desk is pretty clean all the time, my SP2 has scratches on the back...none deep, but enough to say it's well loved. Mostly circles because I spin from portrait to landscape sometimes depending on (horror) how much paper I have on my desk at the time. Wish I had skinned it much earlier. Scratches don't bother me except for when I need to Ebay for the SP4.

dstrauss and elee532 like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

jl99954 - my thoughts exactly - skins increase eBay value and I really hate "clunking up" such a thin and hot looking device with a case - same for my iPhones - always add skins and screen protector (just love the Skinomi skins and their tempered glass screen protectors) and then they are minimalist and just look...:cool:

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I do use the machine a lot flat on my desk. And although my desk is pretty clean all the time, my SP2 has scratches on the back...>>

...For what it's worth, StickerBoy will sell you just the skins for the back. You don't have to buy the whole kit.

I didn't mention it in my earlier response but I, too, am moving more towards using a thin sleeve for casual protection. And, as you say, I might still consider skinning the back for "insurance"...

9. Sylara

Sylara Pen Pal - Newbie

What size sleeves do you guys think would be best (I keep thinking a regular 13" might not fit it)? I want the most minimal in terms if size for mine. Any recommendations?

Also, I will be using mine overseas in Japan while away from home. I'm debating if I need to pick up a voltage converter or not when I plug it in.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Use a 12" Sleeve or a 13" Sleeve designed for the MBA....you won't need a voltage converter as the SP3 power brick is dual voltage.