Surface Pro 3 Accessories thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a Orochi 2013 and for question 3, the answer is it cannot be used with two computers at the same time. However, if you turn the power on, it's paired to your tablet; power off and cord on, with the dekstop; power on and cord on, priority given to the desktop; power off and cordless, it's not working.
    Little comment on 4. Not all people can sense the lag. After the second firmware of October, the bluetooth mouse smoothness of Surface Pro 3 has returned to a good level. During September firmware update and the second firmware update of October it was miserable for me...Then Microsoft released a driver update to fix the Bluetooth. Now I don't really see difference regarding lag between my Razer Orochi and Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition. They are both great regarding lag.
    Notice that the 1000Hz poll rate for Razer Orochi is only for corded mode, not wireless mode. 125Hz maximum for Wireless mode. That's what I heard, not verified..

ptrkhh likes this.
  2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To answer your questions,
    1. RAT M is extremely comfortable. Well built, and though it looks strange compared to a normal mouse, it doesn't feel any different.
    2. Couldn't tell you since I didn't have mine for long, but it felt like it could take a lot of abuse.
    2(2nd?). Both batteries will last quite a long time. At least for me, I haven't replaced my batteries in my Orochi in about 2 months now. That's with daily use at 2-3 hours a day
    3. No, see lonaysta's answer above. Bluetooth is "singular" in that you can only be paired to one device at a time.
    4. I have little experience with Bluetooth mice. My Orochi doesn't seem to lag when I use it. IMO, it doesn't lag any more or less than an older style wireless mouse (e.g. Logitech VX Nano)

I had the Mad Catz RAT M. Don't get it. I RMA'd it once and ended up returning it and getting the Orochi 2013.

One the 3 computers I tried the RAT M on, it suffered from lag and horrible choppiness. Both on Bluetooth and using the Bluetooth dongle it comes with. It must have been RF interference of some kind, or otherwise it just has really, really bad Bluetooth radios. Even when mere inches from the computer or BT dongle, it would constantly skip around the screen as if the computer had frozen up (even though it hadn't).

I just felt that the RAT M failed to work as a mouse. The design and build was amazing, felt really good in my hand. But what good is comfort if it failed at its primary purpose?

That said, I have read glowing reviews for the mouse (which is why I went for it), so it's possible both of my units were somehow faulty.

But I think the Orochi is better in 2 other ways: it's smaller and lighter and in a pinch you can hook up the USB cable and use it without batteries. Can't do that with the RAT M.

ptrkhh likes this.
  3. Bane

Bane Pen Pal - Newbie

Any updates on the official Microsoft glass protector? Is it 100% problem free? Also is there much added weight from it? I'm thinking of getting one myself. I have a film protector on now, while it does the job, I'm thinking of maybe wanting it a more on the slidey side. Altho I checked out a guy who had the Microsoft glass protector on and running my finger on it, it didn't feel particularly silky smooth like the original glass. Dunno, maybe it was still new or smth. Thanks in advance!

4. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It was most likely used for Demonstration purposes and now they are selling them....

6. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Bane

I have the MS glass screen protector, and in my opinion, it is pretty good.
    • It looks and feels (to me) pretty much like the normal screen, as in same smoothness and glossiness.
    • Does pick up some fingerprints, but very easy to clean.
    • I haven't noticed any weight difference. I think the additional weight is too miniscule for big burly man like me to notice ;)
    • The only downside is, occassionally, the touch sensitivity is a little reduced. Depending on what you are doing, it can be no big deal, or rather irksome. But again, this is only occassionally. It's kind of baffling to me in that regard.
    • Do not notice any difference using the pen. And it's not affected by the sensitivity issue.

Is it perfect? No.
    Is it the best tablet screen protector I ever used? Yes.
    Is it the only tablet screen protector I ever used? Uh... yes.
    If I had a do-over, would I get it again? I believe so, yes.

lonaysta and Bane like this.
  7. Bane

Bane Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply Barstuck. I'm still deliberating as to whether to buy it or not. I have a film screen protector that I got free when I bought the SP3, and while it's not as smooth as the bare screen, it's not too bad. Obviously I'll like it as smooth as possible, but maybe it'll do and I'll spare the extra expense. Although feeling my Samsung S4 glass screen protector, it feels awesome and super smooth. What to do, what to do. :)

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Although feeling my Samsung S4 glass screen protector, it feels awesome and super smooth...>>

...I think this is the point. Although I use the Incipio tempered glass SP, I think that all the glass SPs (Incipio, MIME, Microsoft...) offer the same basic feel; smooth and slick. If you like that feel, then you really can't go wrong. Note that, unlike others, I have never noticed any reduction in touch sensitivity using the Incipio SP. I can't comment on the other two brands.

As you point out, cost is still a consideration, but like member Barstuck, I'd buy it again...!

Bane likes this.
  9. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

<<... I have never noticed any reduction in touch sensitivity using the Incipio SP...>>

I believe (could be wrong) Ionaysta commented that he did experience a reduced touch sensitivity with the Incipio (see post #345 in this thread)

10. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.