Surface Pro 3 Accessories thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneNZ

GeneNZ Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm currently using a 0.2mm tempered glass protector. It's pretty damn good. I can't image a 0.5mm tempered glass protector - almost double the thickness seems it will add excess weight and cause sensitivity issues.

I've tried a few 0.2mm glass protectors since I've had a few replacement SP3's. I bought them from Taobao (Chinese version of Amazon) for around USD12. To be fair I am living in Hong Kong and it's a lot easier to get it shipped there than in the states. I doubt it would be a good idea having them shipped from China to the states though, given they are fragile. I received a smashed one, but the seller gladly offered a refund.

Oh and before you ask, yes it is pretty high quality. The English instructions about how to install are pretty poor (as you would expect), but the screen protector itself is pretty top notch.

If anyone is interested, the best one I've purchased so far is:
    http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.334.qOGBRW&id=40952766582

Taobao has numerous random SP3 accessories, cases and the like. The great thing about it is even if it does turn out to be not what you expect or poor quality, then its only a couple dollar mistake. I wouldn't buy any third part power accessories like power adapters off there. I have more sense than that.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I can't image a 0.5mm tempered glass protector...>>

...To the best of my knowledge, the MIME SP is 0.33 mm thick, not 0.5mm. However, I can't now find that reference on the MIME website. I have been living with my Incipio glass SP for a few months now, and I can report that it's excellent! The Incipio is also 0.33 mm thick...

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

IMO the Zagg's Glass is quite noticeably thicker than Incipio's Plex. If Incipio's is 0.33mm, then Zagg might be 0.5mm.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/surface-pro-3-official-ms-screen-protector.12151/
    Above is the first review I see on the Microsoft Screen Protector. From that user's opinion, it is a pretty good protector.

Yesterday I bought a second Surface Pro 3 for our household and we grabbed a Microsoft Screen Protector from Microsoft Store. The store staff was not quite sure about the warranty terms on this item, but she was optimistic that they might do something if the protector shows signs of defect not caused by inappropriate installation. I was too tired yesterday to finish the installation yesterday...Will do it today and report anything I feel relevant.

4. lonaysta

Here is my review of the Microsoft Screen Protector for Surface Pro 3, the official tempered glass screen protector available from Microsoft Store for $49.99.
    Quick conclusion: Best tempered glass screen protector I've used for Surface Pro 3.
    I've used Incipio's Plex Shield, Zagg's InvisibleShield Glass and this. I also have used two plastic screen protectors for Surface Pro 3. However plastic ones are hard to be comparable to tempered glass ones, so I'm not gonna comment on those as well.
    Complete installation process and outcome is as follows:
    1.jpg
    The front of the package. Inside is this plastic protection packaging.
    1.5.jpg
    Back with installation instruction.
    2.jpg
    Inside the little paper box.
    4.jpg
    Wet cloth(surely chemical included. I can smell that), dry cloth(pretty decent...), and dust remover sticker.
    7.jpg
    The tempered glass screen protector is again protected by a soft plastic bag.
    8.jpg
    Trial fit. You can see the sticker upper left. Sorry for the blur as I did not take it precisely. However you folks will be more concerned with corners. Don't get disappointed!
    5.jpg 6.jpg
    Ahh. The documents. Maybe some folks are interested? However there is clearly nothing like "lifetime warranty" or "lifetime replacement".

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      93.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      33 KB
      Views:
    Solrax and Mesosphere like this.
  5. lonaysta

There is a limit on the number of pictures can be inserted in a single reply. Here are the final results!

15.jpg
    Whole image. Not quite well taken. See below!
    10.jpg
    Upper left.
    11.jpg
    Upper right.
    13.jpg
    Lower left.
    12.jpg
    Lower right.
    14.jpg
    The area around camera, microphone and ambient sensor.

Fit conclusion: Best of the three I used. Incipio's Plex Shield is too "fit", so you have very little margin to work with. Zagg has convenient margin to apply the protector, however you can easily see the space between the edge of the screen protector and the screen. This is the best balance between, and it is still quite easy to install.
    Performance:
    Thickness: around the same thickness as Zagg's, noticeably thicker than Incipio's. According to Steve, Incipio's is 0.33mm. Microsoft says this is 0.5mm thick, yeah it is likely to be.
    Feel: Some folks might know I have been concerned with the reduced touchscreen sensitivity issue encountered with tempered glass screen protectors for Surface Pro 3, and this is the first thing I tested after installation. The good news is: It is free from this problem! Very good touch sensitivity and pen feeling. Performance is very close to no-protector status (Yes I still can sense the difference regarding sliding smoothness). I can't say which of the three I tested is the best; they are all fantastic and close to the Corning Glass Gen 3, and are much better than plastic ones, even the IllumniShield HD which has pretty good reputation(yeah it is indeed much cheaper).
    UPDATE: I got another piece of this to install for my other Surface Pro 3. However the first time after installation I did find the reduced touchscreen sensitivity issue. Kind of confusing, and I will try to find out if it has something to do with my way of using this device....Confusing...It is gone for some time like a ghost. Really don't know the reason behind it...Anyway, even with the same level of reduced touchscreen sensitivity issue, this is still the best IMO.
    Special Comment: Have you guys noticed the gap on the left and right bottom of this screen protector? That's specially designed for use with a docking station, and IMO it is FANTASTIC. The docking station gives pressure to the tempered glass screen protector if there is no gap left; and, Incipio's and Zagg's both suffer from this issue. I noticed bubble-like patterns after the device had been docked for hours. And with the official screen protector, this issue is gone. This kind of very detailed and user experienced oriented design really impresses me.

That's it. To sum up, I give you the pros and cons. Note these are from comparison across tempered glass screen protectors, not plastic screen protectors included.
    Pros: Best fit and special cut for use with docking station, free from touchscreen sensitivity reduction issue, easy installation, high quality installation tools.
    Con: No lifetime warranty guarantee like other manufacturers.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Solrax, Barstuck and Luft like this.
  6. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to you review, I went out at lunch time and got me the Microsoft screen protector. You cost me $50 :p

Went on easy. The extra play in the sizing helped. Looks good. Doesn't pick up fingerprints very much. I give it a thumbs up. And I don't notice any difference in touch or pen sensitivity (to the negative).

Thumbs up from Barstuck.

lonaysta likes this.
  7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lonaysta, I hope you're getting commission from Microsoft ;)

8. lonaysta

Instead of receiving money from them, the fact is that, they took near $3000 from me in the last 5 months....And now I'm even partially responsible for the $50 Barstuck paid to them..

9. lonaysta

Besides SanDisk, Lexar has also announced a 128GB model of Micro SDXC card with speed of 633X (~95MBps).

10. spacedogg

spacedogg Pen Pal - Newbie

Oooh that will be even faster rating than SanDisk as their 128gb is rated ~45mbps. Cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.