Surface Pro 3 Accessories thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpwipperman

mpwipperman Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I ask why you probably won't skin the SP3? A change in preference? I followed your logic in the review, but not having had a tablet myself, I'll be relying on input from others at least for my initial setup, and hopefully I won't get my SP3 all scratched up before figuring out how to protect it.

Thanks!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Skinomi also makes good skins for tablets - hade them on SPro, SPro2 and iPad.

A note on those USB/Ethernet hubs guys - remember they are not powered, so there is only so much you can hang off the SPro 3 unless it is plugged in as well.

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. I like the armorsuit because they have all the side pieces, but I've never used them before. I had another company which made the back/side pieces for cell phones which were nice and thick an stuck well, but I cannot remember their name. I'll have to do some more searching. There is NO way I would not skin my SP3 unless I had a case on it, but I feel a case takes away much of the benefit by giving thickness and blocking the kickstand. You almost have no choice but use a skin protector.

I wonder why stickerboy doesn't have any transparent skins? At least I couldn't see that as an option.

4. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

You're very welcome. I saw an ArmorSuit video done on an SP2. It just looked messy having to literally spray the protective pieces all over and then apply. I would rather apply dry. I don't want to risk damaging my SP3 to random water/chemical damage. That's just me. Skinning seems like the best bet if we want to protect. The only case I know that is not too heavy and has individual pieces for the back is the Incipio Feather. However, that came in a very ugly blue color only. So, we'll just have to play the waiting game and hopefully more products will pop up on Amazon.

StickerBoy might have transparent skins. I guess we just have to ask since they haven't officially released anything yet.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I want a touch cover for the SP3.

ctitanic likes this.
  6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As a veteran of many installations of the type where you put water on I can say that those "wet" protectors stick on MUCH better than the non wet ones, and are less prone to bubbles. My only concern with the non wet ones is how well the corners stay on.

7. opasha

opasha Scribbler - Standard Member

You may be right. I may just not have enough experience with the wet applications since I haven't done very many at all compared to dry ones. I'll wait and see if others do the wet protectors. If you do one for your SP3, please do post a review/instructional presentation for those of us that aren't as experience as you so we can do a proper job. Thank you :).

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Intuitively, I know the Type cover is a better keyboard, but I'm with you - I want the thinner and lighter Touch cover - in fact, you could include a small keypad as well. For me, I really want the cover to be a cover, and a keyboard in a pinch, not as the full time keyboard (I've got MS Bluetooth keyboards for that at work and home). Doesn't look like it is even on the radar...

tonyz3 likes this.
  9. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a stickerboy skin on mp sp2 and it fared well. Lost one bit of a side piece stick and just trimmed it a bit and it stayed fine after. But I think issue with almost all the skins is they don't 100% cover the edges...the shape of the surface is too complicated. I have wear on the exposed extreme edges of the surface where nothing covers it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.