Surface Pro 3 Accessories thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Jun 7, 2014.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Back cover would be nice but becomes a problem with the stand. Would like a nice cheap sleeve to hold it with a type cover attached.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I would like to se a small small USB hus, insert it and you have access to Three ports one to the left, one from the front and one from the right. Should have the same look as the chassis.

mancinist likes this.
  4. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

There's already a slew of Etsy sleeve makers who are listing under SP3 with proper dimensions. Some look nice & apparently they see a demand for lots of floral prints.

I'd like to see a legal pad portfolio type of case. For me I don't care about being able to rotate or elevate- I can use the kickstand when I need to do that. I'm looking for a case that allows the SP3, stylus, and then the opposite side some business cards and maybe a bit of room for a file or two. So close to your typical legal pad holder, but instead of pad slot, something to hold the SP3. We're finally down to dimensions that can do it without looking super thick.

I've looked at some that are actually meant for notebooks rather than legal pads, with a vertical slot, but I'd be hesitant to just slide the kickstand into it. Too easy to bend or put odd strain on the hinge. And of course- want to see the device in their in person to get the fit just right.

I regret not getting the skin on my SP2 immediately. It's a tough device, but the mag case was too easy to scratch on the back. I had a penchant for spinning it to proper orientation, so have a bunch of circles on the back from what was a pretty clean desk. And in my bag it was always in a really nice Knomo envelope case meant for MBA but fit perfectly.

I prefer the black rather than silver case, probably will get StickerBoy black........or should I go ahead and do a yellow and red combination kit?

elee532 likes this.
  5. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too. I have a Ethernet to USB adapter, wondering if that built into a hub is a good idea

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

MS really should make the equivalent of Lenovo's OneLink dock: just one cable that connects to the SP3's power port, and that connects to a small separate box with 3xUSB3, power, display, ethernet, audio, the works. That way people can have the SP3 'docked' but still move it around with ease. Technologically this would be extremely easy, but so far no rumors about such a dock.

dstrauss, gcoupe and lonaysta like this.
  7. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Considering this (or if there's something like it) for use on the balcony.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...way-you-work-play-and-relax?ref=home_location

edit:
    I'm searching for a lightweight desk mounted telescope arm tablet stand, or floor stand. Problem is that so far i've only found arms for small devices 7" - 10", nothing (besides the above mentioned kickstarter product) that would be able to carry the 12" surface pro 3.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. mpwipperman

mpwipperman Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have experience with the Armor Suit? I think I've heard that the self healing protectors don't work well at all with the digitizer pen? Also, what about this versus say one of the carbon fiber type stickers? No matter what, a sticker is always going to have problems on the edges of a device. It would be kind of cool if someone made a sort of "heat shrink" tubing material bonded to a more rigid plastic that would shrink around the edges of the device and hold it in place, while covering the edges, and being about as thin and small as possible. Admittedly this produces some design challenges with respect to connectors around the edges, especially the type cover, but it would be neat if possible. Maybe even just incorporating some heat shrink strips for edges to go along with a tougher carbon fiber type tape/sticker, so that the heat shrink would protect the edges.... hmm....

I would be happy if Speck would just make a candyshell for it, though.

9. mpwipperman

mpwipperman Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried a startech cable kit like this versus the microsoft official adapters? I appreciate not having extra drivers to download, but I also appreciate saving $60. The MS adapters apparently have properly edged connectors to mate with the Surface Pro's angled sides, but I can't remember if this is even the case any longer with the Pro 3?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've used them, but I hate them on the screen. I only use the body ones, and I won't put a screen protector on the SP3, I never put t hem on my phones. For the sides I've always been impressed with these protectors, you have to get them wet first and they attach very strongly, you end up breaking them half the time if you have to peel them off.