Surface pro 2017 M3 or Galaxy Book 10.6

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Ross Miller, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Ross Miller

Ross Miller Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been trying to decide on a new tablet pc, mainly for note taking, but also some web browsing/ media consumption and other basic tasks. I am looking at buying second hand, and I'm looking at about £450 which has led me to the two devices in the title. I'd like a fanless design which is why I have ruled out the 12" galaxy book.

From what I have read the surface pro is the better device, but it is also going to be about £100 more expensive based on the second hand prices I've seen.
    I'd love to hear people's opinions as to whether the extra outlay is worth it for the surface pro .

Thanks!

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Galaxy Book has the better pen hands down.....but for purely note taking and nothing art related....it probably won't make much of a difference for you.

That being said, the Kickstand/keyboard cover of the Surface will overall be much more useful then the origami/keyboard cover of the Book. I have both the Book 10.6 and the i5 2017 Pro......the Book is better for Art, but everything else the Surface is the superior device.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Ross Miller

Thanks for your reply. Is there anything else specifically apart from the stand and keyboard that makes the pro better? I am currently leaning towards the galaxy book as I can't see enough vale in the pro to justify what will probably amount to £175 roughly .

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

really...just the Kickstand to be honest. Specifically for media consumption... being able to remove the keyboard and still use the Kickstand is so much better then using the Galaxy Books origami cover.....which doesn't offer remotely the same caliber of stand positioning. The origami cover isn't really that bad....but compared to the kickstand it just doesn't compare. Aside from that, they are both Widows 10 Tablets.....the Galaxy Book I think has a better screen.....and the Galaxy Book tablet itself has a smaller footprint....but the weight/thickness from the Origami cover pretty much negate its smaller size from a portability standpoint.

The Galaxy Book also has a lone USB-C port for everything.....so you can't charge it and use a thumb drive at the same time......that being said the USB-C port is quite capable. It can power pretty much any USB-Device....even external USB monitors just from the one port....and you can also charge the Galaxy Book 10.6 using Samsung USB-C Phone chargers and Samsung Phone Battery Packs....so if you already have a Samsung phone like a Note 8/9....the Galaxy Book will fit right in and you can either devices charger with either.

The Surface's 3.1 Type A USB Port.....however....even with the Pro 5 gen.....can't power everything....I have a few USB DVD/Blueray that it won't power....and that external monitor I have that the Galaxy Book powers with the lone type C Port....my Pro 5's lone type A port definitely can't.

But the Surface has a separate power connection, and a mini-display port....so you can charge your surface and use thumbdrives at the same time.

And while both have a Micro-SD card slot......the Galaxy Books port is internal.....the Surface's is hidden in the kickstand....but if you're going to be popping Micro-SD Cards in and out of the device frequently (like a photographer would)....the Surface's Micro SD-port is way more accessible.

5. Ross Miller

Thanks again- that is really helpful information and I appreciate you taking the time to answer in such depth.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I also suspect the Surface Pro has a much better battery life.
    My Galaxy Book 10.6 was plagued with very poor palm rejection which rendered it practically useless in Onenote. Recently palm rejection got a lot better but I'm on Windows Insider slow ring so I don't know if the vanilla Windows 10 works in the same way.

7. Ross Miller

Thanks. Was the palm rejection fixed via software?