Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info about Best Buy. So that leaves open the question of whether the Microsoft Store would allow this.

I suppose you could do a variation of it where you leave the store and unpack the machine outside in the mall or your car or a coffee shop.

2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

We need to be careful with quotes like "worse than a low cost Chinese ripoff" and "the SP4 screen is clearly better than the SP5". This is not the case. There are some people that have defective units. These blanket position statements, if not careful, are going to result in this device getting a "lemon" image in the market and devalue the ones' of us that don't have the problem. I had this happen with a $4500 Canon DSLR body where there were a small but very vocal group of people that went to great lengths to brand the device as flawed, when I was able to easily prove that mine was not (as were the majority of owners). That product never shook that tarnished image and it cost me $$$$ in value when I wanted to eventually sell it after years of great use.

I was at a big software conference last week. It was my first travel with my nSP. All I heard from anyone laying eyes on it was "that display is gorgeous". And that was with it running at the far left Power Save vs. Performance setting. The nSP is an incredible device, and the display is the best I've ever had on any mobile computer... Mac or otherwise. The fact that some people have defective units doesn't make them all defective.

JoeS and spinedoc77 like this.
  3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Fair enough, but I guess I'm also influenced by people who saw the problem on most display units. I should visit my local Microsoft Store and survey what they have on display.

4. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well it is not about are all units bad or not... as they clearly are not all bad, as if they are this topic and others related to nSP will be burning all over. But from the other side there is a problem, and there is no reaction from Microsoft that will say: "sh.t we have some problems with display on some amount of units, and if you are our customer and spend some serious amount of money for our premium device and with that screen it does not meet premium standards please do as written below .... replacement are possible bla bla bla..." right???

* or PP should maybe try to educate users how they are looking from wrong angle in their devices, nothing strange I know at some point of time as was holding my iPhone wrong :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yep been there too and I am an elite plus member, its because of the retail equation company they use to track returns. in BB you need a drivers license to return anything if not on your BB members account. Toys R us for example also uses them so same issue there. and it sucks since once your locked out you cant even exchange it for the same item.

6. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hoping someone can help me. I just returned my existing nSP and upgraded to the i7/16/512 model (Lot 1719). I'm having the weirdest issue. The device is taking a charge and holding a charge when it's plugged in, but Windows isn't recognizing when I place or remove the charger. Instead, it always acts as if its running on a battery - the screen doesn't get brighter, it goes to sleep after 10 minutes (which is what I have it set to for battery; its supposed to be never for plugged in), and the battery icon doesn't show the charging indicator. Also weird, and I assume related, is when I restart it, it restarts in battery saver mode. Anybody know what's up? I'm trying to figure out if there's a setting I need to change or if there's a problem with the device and I should take it back. I've only had it for half a day and everything else seems to be going great. The battery life itself also seemingly as expected.

My power setting is set to balanced. Power mode is recommended. Everything is set to factory settings.

Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

How would you call THREE friggin' units in a row with a subpar display? Bad luck?
    If you have a good one then fine for you but when people start to have 3, 4, 5 five devices in a row with display quality issues you can't minimize and say it's just a few people with a problem or some people being too picky. It's just that YOU were lucky, not the other way around.

See, I have had my share of Surfaces in the past years, I can recognize when the display of these machine is ok. It simply isn't inany new Surface Pro I've seen so far.
    Besides lets be honest: no Surface I've seen so far (3, 4, Book or 2017) has a great display: even my old iPhone 6 plus screen performs better in these tests than any Surface display.
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
    Notably the Gradient (banding) one has the poorest result I have ever seen.
    Lets not even start to talk about color gamut and Adobe rgb covering percentage.
    No, it's not the best mobile display. it's not even a great display. It only has a good resolution.

Currently I wouldn't advise anyone I know to buy it because the risk of getting a lemon is just too high.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Omazic.iv and WillAdams like this.
  8. Azzart

I should also add: in all honesty if I weren't already so entangled in Microsoft hardware I would just ask for another refund and get a Galaxy Book 12. Which costs far less by the way.
    But it would mean selling the Old model Keyboard Cover, SP4 pen and the Surface Dock. Just too much of a hassle now.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

All of this is really opinion and personal preference. I've had a lot of computers over the years and a lot of displays. To me, the display on my nSP rivals the Apple Thunderbolt display that I had in the past, which is probably the best I've owned, but that is not a thin portable device. I really don't care about a review site's comparison testing that they do because I don't run tests with it. I use it to do my work and to do photo processing in Lightroom. I am looking at the total package of what this thing does and am very pleased. Even if I was experiencing light bleed on the cntl alt del screen, I'm not sure I would care because looking around I don't see another choice that is better, to me.

From what I've seen, there are a number of people that are reporting problems. Based on the total number of devices I would expect Microsoft has sold, I don't think its a large percentage, but that is a total guess on my part. It is a little strange that some folks have gotten multiple bad screens. But I've seen the same thing occur on Apple devices, Canon camera equipment, etc.. Could be bad luck or good luck... I don't know. Could be lots shipping to certain locations. Could be different buyers having different thresholds for what they consider a problem. I just know I've seen it in other equipment. If it reaches a big enough level then the manufacturer will be forced to address it in some other way than just taking returns. It might be in the form of a silent engineering change in line, it might be a recall, it might be something like the "you are holding it wrong" Apple famously went with on one of their problems. In the mean time, everyone has the choice to buy it or not. We came down on opposite sides of that I think.

You could probably sell that stuff on Ebay pretty quick if you wanted to switch machines. But personally, I tried the GB and found it vastly inferior to the nSP in areas that are important to me. I'd take a light bleeding nSP over a perfect SB. But as I said, this is all personal preference and opinion.

10. Azzart

Did you even care to take the time seeing how a white to black gradient looks on that display?
    it's you that say this display is great.
    I say it's average.
    Because even when there's not light bleeding the color gamut is fairly limited, it won't show very deep blacks and it can't for the life of it display a smooth gradient without banding. I'm not talking about opinions, I'm talking about technical aspects.
    You can like it, it's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that aside from the high resolution any Surface Pro 3/4/2017 display is just plainly average and in some aspects even below that.
    Even the first gen Cintiq Companion once you take off the plastic screen protector has a display that, resolution aside, is technically superior in all aspects.

WillAdams and Omazic.iv like this.