Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Incredible number not just very good..... just WOW!!!
    X2.5 better in read and X4 in write section than previous years 128gb surface units.

Just amazing dude!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I too have had 2 surface pro 3, 2 surface books, 1 vivotab note 8, 2 cintiq companion.
    Only these new surface pro's have such a poor display quality with the light bleeding at the bottom and uneven brightness around the screen.
    If you accept all this than fine for you. I paid a premium price for a premium device and I demand premium quality.

wataru and Omazic.iv like this.
  3. alextrela182

As I said only acceptable if has minor one level.
    If it has more than light level then device being returned.

But you must be very very lucky to find zero light bleeding unit.
    So don't hold your breath you will find absolute 0% light bleeding.

I know its frustrating that situation but that's my experience latest years.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Noone expect zero light bleeding, just the common understandable amount at the edges which isn't currently the case. ;)
    Actually, Microsoft should really start to use good quality displays instead of advertising them as great displays when they are (those of the entire surface pro line) poor level: not even 100% srgb and who knows how much adobe rgb, flickering, slow response in changing brightness (due to forcing intel video power saving) uneven not neutral grey colors, unable to display a gradient from white to black without showing a 10 years ago quality level of banding.
    All this but people have the courage to call them great displays...

5. alextrela182

Totally agree that should improve quality control of the panel.
    Btw latest 3 years bought 3 iPad and all of them had zero light bleeding.
    So if Apple can offer top quality screen so MS should do.

Talking further I'm absolutely confident 100% that if I go to a store and grab the new iPad 2017 it won't have any kind bleeding.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I would agree IF they solved the screen burn-in issue of AMOLED's without just resorting to shutting off the screen. I loved the Galaxy Book 12, but Samsung's method of keeping the screen from burning in is to turn the display off after 2 minutes - and NO ONE has more experience with AMOLED than Samsung. I know I bore folks to tears around here frequently, but I need a tablet that is open, at the ready, with OneNote, while I push my other desktop monitors - no can do with Galaxy Book's AMOLED screen.

7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't noticed and light bleed or other display problems with my i5.

8. alextrela182

Don't hold your breath that Sammy is the most experience at OLED screen.
    I know former Nokia used OLED with hardware/panel tweaks on that improved the all quality before even Sammy beginning to improve their own witch begin with galaxy S5/6.

Next year will see iPad too with OLED so maybe Apple has the necessary tweak that prevents burn in issues totally.

Lenovo does use OLED at very high end version of thinkpad 2 in 1 or ultrabook but haven't read what method used for that.

In every case MS sooner or later have to jump to OLED and even Sammy approach is not ideal,MS software/hardware engineers must found a proper solution.

It's not solution of staying forever with LCD.

The advantages of OLED is really incredible to all parameters of screen panel.

Btw last 3 years I'm using Sammy galaxy smartphone(s6/7/8) and none of them had any burn in issues.

Latest years OLED technology has improved drastically compared to 3-4 years old.

Btw I'm not using the same method of working with my 2 in 1 device so don't have a worry of any kind burn in issue even with Sammy current approach:p

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Alex - I understand your point, and OLED is sooooooo much better looking than LCD, but if you have a static image you're screwed on screen burn-in, and knowing the nature of OLED to begin with, I don't see how you avoid this (micro-blinks every minute or two - how's that for your sanity). My guess is the long term solution will be a screen tech we don't see yet (no pun intended). Apple is rumored to be working on something called micro-LED...

Omazic.iv likes this.
  10. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

SPv5 is officially my primary computer and continue to be impressed by the virtual silence of the device. So far, has spent 75% of the day docked to the Dell U3517W previously mentioned and is outperforming expectations.

Small glitches to report and only while docked: Have had a few occurrences where the screen flashes black for about 2 seconds. No audible or visible disconnect of the Surface Dock when it happens and no performance hiccup otherwise as a result. Have also had one episode of rapid, thin line artifacts on the external monitor, corresponding to my activity. Disconnecting the SPv5 connection with the dock did *not* resolve, but unplugging and rebooting the Surface Dock did. Neither of the two glitches occur on the SPv5 in laptop use (undocked). Dock is updated with the latest v2.1.15.0.msi and using the latest Dell display driver.

Omazic.iv likes this.