Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Over the last few days, I've been seeing "wake from sleep" problems with my nSP. In some cases, I suspect that the issue might be related to Windows Hello (which, by the way, is working again after retraining yesterday). However, other times it appears that the issue is deeper in the OS because the nSP hangs up almost immediately. In most cases, the problem manifests with the nSP stuck on the Windows logo (black) screen with the circling dots (what do we call that, anyway?). At that point, the only alternative is a hard shutdown and start-up, which always restores normal operation. I've tried simply waiting, but the nSP showed no signs of recovering.

Occasionally, the nSP will hang on the lock screen with Windows Hello unresponsive, but screen touch still works so I can navigate to the PIN screen. However, once at the desktop (or the Start screen) the nSP will become unresponsive. Again, hard shutdown to the rescue.

I assume that this will get fixed eventually so I'm not overly concerned, but it is inconvenient...

southdunes, dbrn, JMac and 1 other person like this.
  2. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

for a device that can easily cost 2-3K, that is totally unacceptable.

kvoram and southdunes like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why on god's green earth can't Microsoft tune Windows and ITS OWN HARDWARE so there are NO SLEEP ISSUES - close the lid at 82% battery and open the lid 12 hours later at 81%. Apple has been doing it FOR DECADES, and Microsoft no longer has the excuse that it doesn't control the software AND the hardware...

kvoram, Art_N00b, thierryb and 5 others like this.
  4. JMac

JMac Pen Pal - Newbie

It's odd that I'm having neither of these issues with the Surface Laptop. Only have had a maximum of 2% reduction in sleep overnight and zero Windows Hello issues. Why is it tuned for one hardware and not the other???

5. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not experiencing sleep issues with our Core i5/8/256 model. After retraining Windows Hello, it's good about 85% of the time, though still slower than my SP4 that's near instantaneous. As with the first few months of SP4, some of this is the camera failing to initialize in time after boot/wake.

For many years, since downloadable updates via the Net because the standard, companies have a ship it now, fix it after launch mentality when it comes to bugs that would otherwise delay launch.

kvoram, Art_N00b and Aman like this.
  6. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't get Windows Hello to work reliably at all. And I just heard that its supposed to be instant on and I'm not getting that at all. After it goes to sleep, I have to hit the power button to get it back on and it goes through the black screen with windows square, then after a while the lock screen comes on. Is it supposed to be instant on to the lock screen?

7. Steve S

<<...And I just heard that its supposed to be instant on and I'm not getting that at all...>>

...Interesting that you should bring that up; I have never seen "instant on" behavior from any nSP and I was going to mention that fact several days ago but got distracted by more immediate issues. Up to this point in time, I have only ever heard "instant on" mentioned once, and that was... at the introduction event in Shanghai (IIRC???)... Since then, the topic seems to have been dropped by everyone and, of course, the nSP hardware doesn't exhibit that behavior.

I wonder if this was a feature that ended up getting left on the pier at the last moment before the ship sailed...???

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm not a MacBook user (of any vintage), but my daughter has been through Air and Pro, and she just closes the lid, opens it again the next morning and it springs to life in the same configuration she left it with no battery use...why is that so hard to achieve for Microsoft?

Apple beats 85% routinely...but again, that is anecdotal...I watched Panos unveil the Surface Book proclaiming he could close the lid and not lose a DROP of battery - only to have mine hot-bag for months when doing the same thing...

For the uninitiated, "hot-bag" means you close the lid, drag it home in your briefcase, and your briefcase and Surface book were nearly on fire when you get there...

9. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well answer is just in front of... best hardware to run Microsoft Windows is made by Apple...

I am working as IT consultant/contractor for many years, and for many years products from Microsoft are putting food on my table, but what I want from my device is to be ready when I am, ok? That is why from January 2010 until August 2016 I was using Apple devices only and run on them bootcamp with Windows, or VM with Windows or using Microsoft RD Client app, and many of my colleagues or clients ask me why, well OSX was my first choice as when you close the lid and open it you just do your work, no endless reboots related to updates, hanging of system, blue screen of death, etc, and with bootcamp/VM/Microsoft RD client app you can easy get job done.

Then last year I switch to MSI Windows laptop, oh boy...well that did not start so well, except part I was able to open it up and change components. Now I am in process of getting 2in1 as I want tablet like device but with full OS, and that is the only reason why I am not going with Apple and iOS platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bronsky, dstrauss and WillAdams like this.
  10. Steve S

Omazic.iv likes this.