Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I think there is something broken in the nSP Windows Hello...>>

...Finally got fed up and retrained my Windows Hello last night. We'll see what happens going forward. However, I don't think it's just the nSP. Windows Hello on Windows Mobile wasn't that fast prior to the "Creator's (non) Update," but it did work reliably. After Creator's Update, Windows Update on my Lumia 950 is slow and erratic; I frequently end up using my PIN. And it doesn't stop there; I use a fingerprint reader on one of my other tablets. I'll train it and it will work reliably for some period of time. But then it will start to get erratic and days later eventually it will refuse to recognize my fingerprint. Retrain, and the sequence starts over again. It's almost as if your bio-ID "decays" in Windows over time... A few weeks go by and Windows needs to take another look at you to be sure you are you...?!??

kvoram likes this.
  2. magnum2107

magnum2107 Scribbler - Standard Member

Steve -- where did you find the i7/16/512 model? It's only showing as available for the preorder on the MS site and I don't think my local Microsoft stores have it. Apologies if this has been asked/answered already.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm also considering sending back both units and getting the i7 8gb in the hope that model doesn't have the display problems.
    Anyone found anything on the net yet regarding this?

4. Steve S

<<...where did you find the i7/16/512 model? It's only showing as available for the preorder on the MS site...>>

...Bear in mind that the online order site shows inventory (and backorder status) in real time. I ordered my i7 on the first day of pre-orders, when the site showed availability of that model on 15 Jun. As preorders started to pile up, the existing inventory was exhausted, and the availability of the next production batch shifted to 30 Jun. I believe that is still the status for this model and the i7 / 16GB / 1TB model.

In my case it was just the "early bird" advantage...

Omazic.iv likes this.
  5. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

My i7 screen is much better than the i5 and no issues with it. I have yet to see any "mass" hysteria online about screen issues so I doubt there is going to be anything substantial.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

7. Steve S

For those who may be interested, it appears that the nSP does not support the more expensive UHS-2 microSD cards. In order to achieve UHS-2 performance (read speeds of up to 275 MB/s, 1833X), the microSD card has a second row of electrical contacts. The question is: Does the microSD socket on the nSP have that second row ?

The answer appears to be: No. The Sandisk Extreme Pro microSDXC UHS-II card comes with a micro card-to-USB reader, thus providing a socket that can be directly compared to the socket on the nSP. The second row of contacts is barely visible, but there is a gap between the last two contacts on one end. The contacts in the nSP socket are harder to see, but there is no gap that I can see; just a continuous line of contacts that would match a standard UHS-1 card.

However, even though the nSP socket is not configured for UHS-2, a UHS-2 card will still yield slightly better read / write performance than a UHS-1 card and, of course, you'll get UHS-2 performance whenever you use the companion USB card reader...

This link adds a bit of detail:

http://www.electronicdesign.com/memory/whats-difference-between-sd-and-uhs-ii-memory-cards

Chris_Kez, Omazic.iv and JMac like this.
  8. Steve S

Omazic.iv likes this.
  9. Steve S

Over the last few days, I've been seeing "wake from sleep" problems with my nSP. In some cases, I suspect that the issue might be related to Windows Hello (which, by the way, is working again after retraining yesterday). However, other times it appears that the issue is deeper in the OS because the nSP hangs up almost immediately. In most cases, the problem manifests with the nSP stuck on the Windows logo (black) screen with the circling dots (what do we call that, anyway?). At that point, the only alternative is a hard shutdown and start-up, which always restores normal operation. I've tried simply waiting, but the nSP showed no signs of recovering.

Occasionally, the nSP will hang on the lock screen with Windows Hello unresponsive, but screen touch still works so I can navigate to the PIN screen. However, once at the desktop (or the Start screen) the nSP will become unresponsive. Again, hard shutdown to the rescue.

I assume that this will get fixed eventually so I'm not overly concerned, but it is inconvenient...

southdunes, dbrn, JMac and 1 other person like this.
  10. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

for a device that can easily cost 2-3K, that is totally unacceptable.

kvoram and southdunes like this.