Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Bergman

Bergman Scribbler - Standard Member

FYI. I went to Best Buy last Friday and picked up an i5, 8gig model. Got it home and set it up bet the weekend and on Sunday noticed the same dark streak at the bottom that others have shown here. It was really noticeable with a white background and since I use word and email a lot it was honestly starting to bother me.

I try not to be picky about light bleed, which it had but the dark streak was a bit much. I took it back yesterday and I was skiddish about getting another i5 since others have had the same issue and I hate having to return stuff, so I got an i7 instead and it is fine. Has some light bleed at the bottom as well but nothing horrible and no black streaks.

Not sure how pervasive this problem is but something to keep an eye on for sure.

So far, outside of that I am liking it a lot. I had a Surface 3 years ago and ended up sending it back and got a book. Battery life was horrible and my Surface Book is outstanding but I wanted something lighter. This one seems to have the sweet spot for weight and battery life.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

This is starting to get worrisome. Tomorrow I have to call Amazon's Customer care to arrange a replacement because for some reason the site only gives me the refund option and I don't want to take that route.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

anyone have a pic of the screen problems? just want to make sure mine is ok. personally didn't notice anything.

4. Bergman

If you get a white image off google and set it as your background you will notice right away if you have a problem.

(edit: I cant get my picture to link. I hate forums. Why in the name of holy L in the year 2017 is so darn hard to post a stinking picture? Goodness.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to see the picture when I right clicked and had it show in another window. I'm not sure what I'm looking at though. What exactly is the problem with that image?

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Don't you see the bottom of the screen?
    Mine has it too.
    Plus over that darker ribbon I have a lighter strip going through all the screen and another one near the top.
    Plus difference in brightness (and thus colors appear different)on the left side and right side of the screen.
    Everything is faint and subtle but it's there and shouldn't be seen on a €1500 tablet pc.
    Moreso on one that claims to have a great display. Which isn't by the way.

8. convergent

OK, I wasn't sure if it was glare or not in the picture. I think mine is fine. I opened a blank Word document and turn the brightness all the way up and its pure white.... granted I can't see what the task bar would look like if it was white, but on yours its much higher. I have an i5/8/256, which is the one you are having problems with, right?

Where are you all located that are having the problem. I'm in the US in NC and got it at the Microsoft Store. Maybe we can determine if a particular region got a bad batch or something.

9. Bergman

I am located in South Carolina. The picture is not really the best and it looks a lot worse in real life up closer to the screen. Honestly I am in the technology business and I have used a lot of tablets and laptops over the last decade and I'm not real picky on displays. This one was pretty bad and the fact that the dark area was not in the task bar zone but above it made it worse. When I turned it sideways it was unacceptable.

Truth is the i7 I have has it a bit but it is not nearly as pronounced as the i5 was so it is most likely an issue with all of them, and some will be worse than others. Looking at my i7 I have some pretty extreme light bleed along the bottom and a bit of that darker area where my other one was. This one is not as bad though so I'm good with it.

Also I would imagine different folks will have different eye tolerance for these type of things. Bottom line is if you are happy with yours don't worry about it.

Overall I am good with what I have now.

10. convergent

I also work in tech and not that picky, but mine has none of this that I can see. I would return it if it looked like your picture. Did you get it in the Microsoft Store or online, or through a retailer?