Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With Wacom EMR pens, the backend eraser was pressurized, so like the pen side, pressing harder or softer with the eraser end would change the size of the eraser. As the pen tip was pressure sensitive, so too was the eraser. With the addition of the Backend Eraser on the Pro4 pen....while it worked as an eraser, it wasn't pressure sensitive.

Steve S and surfaceproartist like this.
  2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

[​IMG]
    Get my m3 nSP at 6:30pm (UPS finally showed up - THANK GOD - waiting for UPS like forever)

Initial impression - the m3 system felt slow - not surprising coming from i7 SP4. Maybe it's still setting up - it felt slower than the Skylake m5 in my MacBook running bootcamp. You can tell by the sluggish animations across the system - I did notice that the new performance slider was default to battery saver.

To @Marty, the hovering lag seemed on par with the Studio at the center of the screen - but unlike the Studio, the hovering lag on the nSP worsened significantly when moving the pen towards the screen edges (~16% screen width, or 2 inches to the edge). It's simply unbearable to use hovering within 2inches from the four edges. So hovering is definitely worse than the Studio.

IAF is still not on par with Wacom. My handwriting hasn't improved. The resistance of the nib on the screen is still noticeable (which means draggy and you'll miss some leading or trailing of strokes). I didn't feel anything different from previous gen Surface pen. So much for the hype.

For reasons I don't understand, I cannot seem to get tilt to work at all on the new Surface pen. I tried the InkSpace - pencil tool as @Steve S discussed earlier - no luck. I downloaded Expresii, the MS demo program for tilt - no luck either. Am I missing something here?

When I angled the device to its Studio mode, the screen flexed a lot - I found it hard to ink or draw in that Studio mode because of the flex. It's never like that on my SP4.

The display is yellowish on white, esp. at an angle - I guess I am spoiled by the Studio's display and now everything looked inferior. lol.

Battery design capacity is 45Wh, full charge capacity is 49Wh, as confirmed in powercfg /batteryreport. The 24Wh charger was a bit slow, no surprise there.

Overall, a little disappointed (but I am spoiled by better gears to begin with). It should serve well as my companion (and to a less degree, dust collecting) machine to my Studio. I wish Microsoft could engineer some interoperability on its Bluetooth accessories (like the pen and the Dial) so that they don't have to be locked down to a single Surface. Waiting to confirm the battery life in the next few days.

But for now could somebody help me solve the missing tilt functionality?

Omazic.iv and Marty like this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you install all the updates? I think one of them may be the firmware that initializes tilt. Also make sure to run all your store app updates. They can bog down your system too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wataru likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

As far as I can understand, support for the new pen features on clip studio will require an upcoming update.
    Did I miss something?

5. surfaceproartist

That's right. Wataru was struggling with Sketchpad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Some time after 8pm UPS dropped off a pen and type cover. No nSP. No update in Microsoft Store... still says preordered. They charged my card and nothing. Pretty poor process. I guess I'm going to the store tomorrow with a bit of an attitude.

7. surfaceproartist

Pencil tool in Windows Ink Workspace Sketchpad app.

darkmagistric likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

See @cbutters' new video. Biggest takeaway: 25% higher sustained gameplay performance in the i7 model!

Chris_Kez and Steve S like this.
  9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Hehe... thanks for the link...
    some takeaways:
    Highlights:

SP '17 starts with a 30 WATT Power Envelope!

SP '17 can maintain 16-18 watts of power by itself (SP4 = 12-13)

SP '17 can maintain 25 watts using a simple USB Fan! 25% sustained gaming performance!

Larger thermal envelope allows for higher clock speeds!

You don't even need the extreme box fan method, because even the usb fan could sustain 25 watts... and I'm pretty sure at this point that it won't go above 25 watts for sustained loads... (it will only do the initial 30 watt figure for a set amount of time before dropping it back down)

10. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! Looks much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk