Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...How does the new Surface Pen compare to the Wacom Ink Pen? Is its IAF as low as Wacom was able to rig theres? Can you also do a Tilt test with both pens?..>>

First, the Wacom Ink pen does not support tilt. Using InkSpace Sketchpad, set to pencil, the nSP pen works as advertised (shading effect of tilt is very nice) but the Wacom Ink pen only inks directly (like a ball point pen). Note that if you are using Sketchpad in pen mode, the nSP pen produces no tilt effect; that is, the effect of the nSP pen is appropriate to the type of instrument that you are emulating. See below for a comment about relative IAF (the Wacom Ink pen feels like it has a lower IAF than the nSP pen)...

<<...If the eraser is pressure sensitive...>>

The nSP pen eraser does not exhibit this behavior. In InkSpace Sketchpad (using either pen or pencil), as you rub over a line with slowly increasing pressure, the line is unaffected until you reach a certain pressure, then the line segment over which you are rubbing disappears instantly and completely

<<...Could you test the new Surface Pen on the Z Canvas and see if you notice any hover latency improvements or reduced IAF?..>>

I didn't see any noticeable difference in hover detection distance or hover latency between the nSP pen and the Wacom Ink pen in a Z Canvas test just now. As for IAF, the nSP pen felt like it did on the nSP screen (and was OK in terms of IAF), but the Wacom Ink pen felt like it had noticeably lower IAF. HOWEVER, the Wacom pen had a hard plastic nib (therefore very "slick writing feel") whereas the nSP pen had its one and only HB nib (which is a little bit "draggy"). To the extent that this difference affected my impression of IAF (and since we have no quantitative measurements) I can only say that, on the Z Canvas, the Wacom Ink pen felt (and inked) "better"...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. testdrive7

testdrive7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I went to the store and tried SP4 pen on the nSP - the new pens are not available here in Australia until mid-August - I've noticed that the pen "jitter" is still very visible on the nSP when drawing slow diagonal lines. How is the slow diagonal line drawing on the nSP with the New Surface Pen - is the pen "jitter" is still there and is it as bad as SP4 with the SP4 pen?

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like this tag team reviewing technique Steve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southdunes and Steve S like this.
  4. Steve S

It's taking two of us to answer all these questions...!

southdunes likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll let you answer jitter questions then. I hate 'em almost as much as @Shogmaster does.

6. Steve S

<<...How is the slow diagonal line drawing on the nSP with the New Surface Pen - is the pen "jitter" is still there and is it as bad as SP4 with the SP4 pen?..>>

I believe that the jitter (I called them "jaggles") is much improved using the nSP pen on the nSP. In the example below, I used a paper straightedge to ensure that the nib was steady on the screen. The lower half of the line, circled in red, was the result. You can see that there is very little to almost no jitter. As I continued to draw, the paper started to slip ever so slightly against the slick glass screen. So that portion, circled in gold, looks a little more jittery, but that was the fault of the straightedge slippage...

[​IMG]

Bronsky, Azzart and surfaceproartist like this.
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Anyone have a review of the m3 model?

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

That would be a perfectly acceptable level of jitter for a slow stroke. :)

surfaceproartist likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Normalized Web Browsing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removing the battery capacity from the results gives a picture of overall device efficiency, and here the Surface Pro really shows what it can do. It’s well ahead of the ThinkPad, which had a Skylake i7, and even ahead of the Atom powered Chuwi LapBook, which utilizes four Goldmont cores.

southdunes likes this.
  10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Well a very disappointing end to the day. Almost 8pm and still no UPS delivery. They have come this late sometimes but doubting it today. And I still don't have any idea based on Microsoft's odd shipping notices what is actually in transit. I will never preorder again. If I had just gone to the store today I'd have it. Best Buy has them in stock too. There was some message in the UPS tracking about weather during last night before it showed another entry of out for delivery, so I bet that is UPS's lame excuse for not showing up. Now tomorrow I'm not scheduled to be at the house when they will probably show up... and it will be too late then to go to the store.