Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I doubt its actually connected. That looks like a staged picture because it is a large format camera and I'm not aware of a commercially available digital back for a large format picture. This company here is in the process of making what they claim to be the first, but I see no price listed. The specs say it would tether by Wifi, not USB. http://www.largesense.com/products/8x10-large-format-digital-back-ls911/ I did find another article talking about someone that made their own large format digital back and the cost was six figures! But that was in 2011.

So I'm guessing they have the i7 version of Surface Pro there!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Just picked up my i7 / 16GB / 512GB plus platinum Pen and blue Type Cover. Initializing now.

The Microsoft store now has the Platinum pens on display, but who cares! I can verify that the pens have no clips, have a flat on one side with a shortened button (doesn't run the length of the barrel) and the battery is pre-installed.

More as things develop...

JMac and dstrauss like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Reminds me of the people that sniffed mimeograph sheets in school.

Chris_Kez, JMac and Omazic.iv like this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"stoned on surface pro"

I will get the cobalt pen when its avail and I get my BestBuy points.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Did the store have the Cobalt Blue new pens in stock? I ordered platinum because that was all that could be pre-ordered, but would prefer my bling to match!

6. Steve S

<<...Did the store have the Cobalt Blue new pens in stock?..>>

...No; only the platinum pens.

UPDATED: The AC Adapter for the i7 is a little different: 15V at 2.58 A rather than 12V at 2.58 A for the SP4. Since posting this a couple of hours ago, I've verified that I'm comparing an SP4 AC adapter to the nSP AC adapter.

UPDATED: The pen is ridiculously difficult to unwrap. It comes with a nice plastic wrapping, but Microsoft has used the world's strongest contact adhesive all along the edge of the wrapping. You literally have to work your way along the edge to pry it loose, and it's not that easy! The pen comes with set-up instructions, and that's all. No extra nibs or a nib pack. Seriously? For $100...???

UPDATED: The pen feels a little heavier in my hand than the SP4 pen but my scale says that it is actually 2 grams lighter! (20g versus 18g) The pen is the same length, but with no pocket clip and a shorter switch on the side...

PS: The comment about the contact adhesive applies to all the nSP wrappings. They're a challenge...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  7. Steve S

My i7 is up and running. Start-up (with Cortana) was entirely routine and faster than I expected. Once I got to the desktop, I ran Windows update and, sure enough, Tuesday's updates appeared. Installing them now. I just now noticed that there is also a firmware update and another, what looks like a system, update...

The fan is running now, but I can't hear it unless I put my ear up to the upper left corner of the nSP. I could feel the warm air being exhausted which is what tipped me off...

As already described, the Alcontara Type Cover has a very heady aroma!

southdunes and Bronsky like this.
  8. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Reminded me on one dude I worked with, me and team wanted to buy him something like this:
    https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/03/new-mac-smell-candle-twelvesouth/

I can imagine sales numbers of new sCandle - let your home smell like brand new Surface Pro device :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalsiren and Bronsky like this.
  9. Steve S

Just paired the pen and gave it a quick test drive in InkSpace. It feels really good! I can see just a little latency, but only if I scribble very rapidly back and forth on the screen.

UPDATED: The IAF feels fine (to me). Unlike the SP4 pen, the nSP pen will ink if I simple rest it on the screen under its own weight. (However, I have no way to measure if it is 9 grams, as claimed.) The pen weighs 18 grams (same as the Wacom Ink pen, and 2 grams lighter than the SP4 pen) so ignore my earlier comment that it felt heavier.

I also just discovered that Microsoft has put noticeably stronger magnets both in the pen and on the left edge of the nSP to hold the pen with increased security. You can still "wipe" the pen off (for example, taking it in or out of a sleeve case) but the grip on the pen is now much stronger...

Also, more on Windows updates: My history shows 3 "Quality" updates, 5 Driver updates and 1 "Other" update

Omazic.iv and Marty like this.
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And no replacement tips despite the $40 price hike. Grrrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve S likes this.