Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

As promised, unboxing pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alextrela182, Bronsky, JoeS and 4 others like this.
  2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice... now you just need to connect with the dude in the UK on another forum that received his new keyboard cover and pen; and doesn't have the new Surface to use it!

Omazic.iv and southdunes like this.
  3. southdunes

Hope so, but not sure I'm willing to sit on a potentially defective unit again waiting for a fix from MS. Have been down that road before. :(

4. southdunes

No luck so far -

5. southdunes

More regarding first impressions and the screen flicker:

The rounded edges of the tablet are a welcome addition, as expected. The magnesium casing has a downward bevel now where it meets the screen, helps create the more rounded edges. Makes it feel like a thinner tablet. Same smaller AC adapter from the m3 SP4. Kickstand resistance feels roughly the same, maybe slightly more fluid. The 'studio mode' is nice, but has a little bounce with the weight of your hand. Not a negative for me, but might annoy some. Bamboo Ink works well, parallax has definitely been reduced and response has improved. Hard to pinpoint, but my handwriting output has changed slightly; In comparing the same handwriting from my SP4 and the nSP, it looks slightly different. Could be attributed to the Bamboo Ink, will be interested regardless to see results with the new stylus. Overall, performance feels very much in line with the SP4 m3, perhaps snappier in transition from Windows Hello and between apps.

Screen flicker is still there and definitely occurs with greater frequency under load. Still diagnosing, but having sad recollections of the experience with my first defective SP4. Will be bummed if this goes back, especially after the pleasant surprise of the early delivery.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Bronsky likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh snap, did they shrink the AC charger down to phone charger size or is my depth perception off? I might just pick one up for my Pro3

7. southdunes

Believe it's the same size as the smaller 24w SP4 m3 adapter. The other SP4 trims had the larger 36w adapter, guessing it'll be the same with the nSP. The smaller m3 adapter here probably isn't compatible with your SP3 power requirement. :(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

It was probably the first thing you thought of, but some machines will default to a lower refresh rate for some oddball reason. I had one where that happened and I found the refresh rate wrong, set it to 60 then things went smoothly after that.

southdunes likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The warranty is still quite useable. You can get a replacement from a Microsoft Store, either in-person or via shipment.

southdunes likes this.
  10. southdunes

Yeah, played with the display adapter settings with no luck. Defaults to 2736x1824 @ 59Hz, tried switching to 60Hz, as well as some lower resolution settings. Please keep the ideas comin' -

In the past, I've admittedly gone the nuclear route of return/replacement to avoid warranty claims and the end result of either ending up with a refurbished unit or no unit while MS repairs. This is a different circumstance, would assume a brand new replacement unit would be given at a Microsoft Store since we're at the front end of a launch.

For all the Surface tablets I've owned, have never pursued a replacement in a Microsoft Store. Would be the preferred route. Weighing that against a return/refund.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.