Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Many people don't use the pen. But, you may also find more uses for it over time as you use it more. It took me awhile (due in part to the horrific early model N-Trig pens that were prone to corrosion) to transition from a keyboard to pen. To be sure, as the feel and accuracy of the pen improves, I tend to use it more and more. My principal uses are for general notes (90% on the GN5), timesheets (GN5), signing documents (S3), highlighting cases as I read them (S3), annotating draft documents (S3) and striking out in the redlining process (S3 - I find the pen much more efficient than a keyboard for selecting text to strike out).

dbrn likes this.
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yep that's my biggest problem, I have no patience lol

convergent likes this.
  3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

This was my nightmare with SP3.

4. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

dbrn and dstrauss like this.
  5. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting stuff! As a sociologist I have to wonder how much of this is biological, and how much it might be generational (ie what you happened to grow up with is really what counts). All I know for sure is that I far prefer taking meeting notes, and doing any kind of annotating for my own use, using a pen than a kb. I also find that in meetings (especially 1-1), people respond differently to you when you're 'writing' than when you're 'stuck behind a laptop'; the former doesn't make you seem as disconnected as the latter. So I love my stylus.

And of course all of this was typed :rolleyes:.

kvoram, dstrauss and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure it's more biological as handwriting requires more fine motor movements to form each letter individually, with each being a different shape, whereas typing is just a single movement for each letter. It requires more motor planning to draw letters than to type them, which lights up more of the brain, making stronger connections. At least that's what I'm remembering from the studies I've seen.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Preordered the i7 8gb 256gb.
    The complete absence of a date for the pen worries me though: I don't want a revival of what I experienced with the iPad Pro launch.

JoeS likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Actually, it was noted a couple days ago that the platinum one is up for preorder with a release date of June 15th:

IMG_1064.PNG

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Only in US I fear.
    I'll probably going to order the standard Surface Pen until I can get the new one.
    Obviously not even the Wacom Bamboo ink is available in Europe. (Not that I was going to buy something from Wacom amyway...)

10. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017