Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Clearly everyone has different preferences and writing habits/techniques...though nowhere as extensive as your tablet experiences :p my own experiences with the tech is different.

Thankfully as you outlined

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    jnjroach likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Actually, I'd say the majority of people around here who use tablets are note takers... :cool:

3. Azzart

A curiosity:
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but did anyone here took a look at the pressure curve diagram on a cintiq tablet/cintiq companion pen in the Wacom control panel?
    For some unknown reasons (at least to me) wacom sets the initial pressure applied to start higher than the 0 in the X axis, so you can't actually feel the real IAF unless you modify the curve.

4. MGSBigBoss

MGSBigBoss Pen Pal - Newbie

Dones anyone know if all the drives of the surface pro 2017 are pcie Nvme or is it just the 1tb? Are the others SATAIII drives? Also is it worth it to get the Nvme drive in a surface or is it diminishing real world returns?

I'm contemplating the 512gb but was wondering if it's a sata3 ssd and if the TB Nvme is worth a 500 dollar premium on a surface to be used for 7 years.

5. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I've pre-ordered the i5, 8G, 256G new Surface Pro. Long time Mac owner, who's used Windows at work as well. I bought the SP4, same spec'd, about a month back and then returned it a few days before the announcement. I loved it but a few things I didn't care for - battery life, sharp edges when folding, and pen performance. I think the new one will be perfect. I need to get to the Microsoft Store and check it out soon. Appreciate all the great information here.

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I still have my SP2. Do you know the activation force for the SP2 pen? Trying to compare how good the SP4 pen will be...

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Not sure - IAF wasn't anything that impacted me - the SP2 uses Wacom EMR Digitizer so it should be similar to other Wacom EMR Tablets. Hopefully one of the artist can chime in....

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. Azzart

Talking about pricing again...
    I was wondering: as an advancement as the new pen can be, how can Microsoft justify a price that's double the current Surface pen?!?

10. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

From what I have seen, the pen is used by only 1/3 of Surface Pro owners, so the volume they make will be a lot less if they are selling them separately. That could play into the pricing as higher volume usually drives the price down. Double... not sure what the justification was/is. They don't really need to justify it I suppose. You can buy the old one if you don't want to pay the higher price. The real question is whether they will keep selling the older ones so users have a choice of price and capability.