Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

You guys forgot about the Windows Hello camera added to the SP4.

2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Finally got a good offer on my sp4. So going to order the new one for BB and then use my points from the sale to get the pen afterwards.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Telstar1948 and Bronsky like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If i remember correctly wasn't the SP4 + surface pen was $899 and now the new SP is $799 + $100 for the pen = still $899. Why are people complaining?

Another thing i don't understand. ..who the hell is gonna pay $100 for a pen with IAF as high as 9 grams, while the competition is giving better pens for free (the new wacom emr SPen) or at the same price (Apple pencil)?

The new Surface Pro is a total disappointment. Good battery life can never compensate for the the substandard pen tech in a writing tablet.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. siddhartth

Apple pencil was the best consumer grade stylus when it was launched. It kinda deserved it.

But after Galaxybook - which comes with the best stylus free, it's an outrageously high price to pay for even the pencil.. Ofcourse, if pencil doesn't deserve it, then much inferior SPpen doesn't deserve that price either.

5. siddhartth

cheaper and better with even less IAF of 5 grams weight instead of Surface pen's 9 grams.

6. siddhartth

I am glad that Microsoft at least acknowledged it's shortcomings, and Panos dared to utter the word Actuation force (IAF) in public. I remember some members here defending the indefensible shortcomings of Microsoft numerous times. I don't presume to know why they did so, but it was easy to see through their agenda, in their text and video posts, here on the forum.

Two good things have come out of it-
    1. First step of correcting a problem is acknowledging the problem. Which Microsoft has done finally. So, I see Microsoft improving IAF further, with each iteration.
    2. Those honourless men who were trying prove that Surface line-up has no problems at all, when it comes to IAF. They have been proven wrong by Microsoft itself.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Or their workflow and usage doesn't depend on IAF....this board usually doesn't throw accusations and promote conspiracy theories towards other members. I've used every generation of Tablet since 2001 and by far the best experience I've had has been with the Surface Devices with a n-Trig Pen...

And I survived the HP 500 n-Trig Pen....

If you prefer Wacom EMR then you can still get them on a few devices, if you want to use Wacom AES it is available on even more, if you want the Apple Pencil it is available from one source, but you have many choices - enjoy

Chris_Kez likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm fine with IAF on the Surface Book, I find the pen to be miles away from the Sp3 pen. :D

My only gripe is with the wobbling: that would really benefit from some improvement.

jnjroach likes this.
  9. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you all aware that there is a lot of other possible workloads when you want to buy Surface Pro beside drawing???
    Looking at this topic, or most of surface pro xyz topics/forums people are most of the time talking about pen, well we are not all artists, aren't we?
    At the end this topic is about Surface Pro, with all do respect Surface Pen is a separate article with separate price, and so is Surface Keyboard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Please don't start quoting this number as gospel. It's a wild guess on my part that may be wildly off. It's just my way of reporting the *feeling* that the Ink seems to require half as much pressure to make a mark.

It's very possible, as @Shogmaster attests, that the Ink has an IAF of 1 gram. It might also have 9. It's just less than the current gen Surface Pen, but not quite as low as the Pro Pen 2 on the MobileStudio Pro.