Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I get about 6-8 hours from my Surface Pro 4 i7 with normal tablet tasks, excluding Chrome.

dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's pretty amazing (compared to these guys)!

I guess you might hope for 10+ hours then, but what's your standard "mixed workload"?

For example, my average mixed workload is something like: Chrome (10+ tabs) + OneNote + 2-3 other applications with screen brightness at 50%.

3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I envy all you folks. I can only get 2-3hrs of battery life no matter how hard I try to stupefy it. And this is with two replacements and only using Edge. Even with new battery and fresh reinstalls!

From my battery report (SP4 i7) -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So you see why my hatred with SP4's battery life and MS's ill-advertisment is profound. I can only imaging getting 3hrs from the nSP for my usage.

I think the 'workload' is hardly any indicator on what battery life you'll get on your device. I can have a very low workload (like idle) and still have very bad battery life. It's like trying to dictate with voice and Google never likes my English. Certain products never work with some people.

4. Marty

Ugh! Yeah, battery reports of the SP4 seem all over the place...you are indeed a very loyal customer to buy a Studio after that. (But probably glad you did! ;))

It's true, battery life estimates are the most inexact science (hence why you multiply battery ratio by your own average run time, and never based on other reports).

Hmm, ya know @wataru...here's a gambit:

Go to the MS store after June 15, and take your complaints to the store manager. Show them the horrid battery life and say you are a loyal customer that stuck with MS and bought a Studio.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll let you trade up to a new Surface Pro! :thumbsup:

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, saw one at a pop-up (one of those large kiosks) in Des Moines. It is nice, but if you are a SPro 4 owner, think long and hard before side-grading. I do mean side-grading, because it's not even as much of an upgrade as going from SP3 to SP4; it's very much an SP4.5. Of course, like everyone else, no new pens to try. To me, it is really not any thinner or lighter - mostly an illusion of a very slight rounding the edges so it doesn't look so "industrial square-edged." The new keyboard really doesn't feel any more rigid than my SP4 with fingerprint reader.

Unless you get a really good price deal, new buyers should go SP over Sp4. SP4 owners - unless the pen proves to be a monumental upgrade, or battery life claims are more true than usual, skip this and wait for SP2018 with Thunderbolt 3 in the next processor switch by Intel.

I am particularly disappointed in the $100 price INCREASE by making the S Pen and accessory. I guess they'll never invest in Smart Screen (for adjustable bezels) or a rechargeable stick pen IN the case...shame

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So it is a significant upgrade for those of us stuck on our SP3?
    I like that I could by the new SP here in Japan and a keyboard from Sweden, but since I don't use that very often (Logitech KB at home) do you think I could just stick with the old Type Cover?

7. Marty

Was that a Freudian slip? :p

Come...the real S Pen is waiting for you back in the land of Samsung... :D

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is a significant upgrade for those of us stuck on our SP3?..>>

...I think it boils down to personal preference. If you want to stick with your SP3 for one more upgrade cycle, I think you can. However, I think there are enough enhancements in the nSP that it's worth considering side-grading...!

<<...do you think I could just stick with the old Type Cover?..>>

The last generation Type Covers look like they will fit the nSP. The electrical contacts look the same...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep I think for SP3 owners it's major upgrade from many aspects.
    1. Better screen (Brightness,contact,black level,accuracy are all better an new surface)and slightly bigger screen 12.3 vs 12
    2. Significant improvements at general performance at CPU-GPU-SSD.
    We are talking from 4th Generation Intel Core processor to 7th.
    And form old Sata SSD to NVMe PCIe SSD.

That's big step forward.

3. Better battery life.
    4.lighter with minimal bezel and more eye catching design.
    5. Of course for all the folks out there want really major pen improvements the new surface pen is a winner.

You could grab the SP4 type cove at a good price deal instead of the new one that's still excellent.
    My next surface purchase would be only when MS put next generation 10nm CPU and thunderbolt USB C support.

So unless SB2 has that feature by and of the year if not then I will wait next generation Surface Pro wherever unveiled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Omazic.iv and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you didn't think the SP4 was a significant upgrade, then the only attraction of this one will be (hopefully) better battery life and (yet unproven) better pen. Some say the new keyboard is better - I don't think so - especially the new furry stuff for another $30. After reading about the inclusion of TB3 support on the next Intel processor, and royalty free use, my gut tells me Surface won't really upgrade until next year.