Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

@jnjroach : You might want the Microsoft Store web team know there are some typos on the page. First, the fanless i5 and fan-based i7 models are stated as weighing the same which would break the laws of physics unless Microsoft is leaving a disconnected fan inside of the i5 model. In addition, Microsoft has been telling news venues (and test results also corroborate this) that the performance is 20% faster than the Surface Pro 4. However, the Microsoft Store product page claims a 50% improvement, which I initially mistakenly believed to be true.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Omazic.iv likes this.
  2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I actually thought Lisa saw the picture (BattteryInfo) you posted earlier and mistook that as 49Wh, given her video was posted the same day as your Store trip.

But it does seems that the battery can be charged to 49Wh, so doesn't matter whether it's 45Wh designed capacity or not. We can expect 1-2 hrs of more battery life if we use 6hr as the average battery life for SP4.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I haven't heard anything on my first email - something to do with jetlag ;)

I'll see what I can find out...

I'll forward....

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@Bronsky
    Now that the i5 is fanless, would that be a candidate to replace your Surface 3 or is the size the problem?

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Again, I am almost thoroughly convinced this is due to some sort of last minute change in the battery design of each of these display units, which are pre-production models. I went from unit to unit with the battery program I had on hand and I noted that each had a charged capacity much higher than 45 Whr, exactly at 49 Whr, with the initial extra charge capacity of a couple hundred mWhr or so. The reason may be Microsoft might have initially considered going with a 45-Whr battery but then adjusted this the last minute without fully adjusting all of the battery circuitry to accurately reflect this. Now, it is normal for the actual charged capacity of a battery to be a little bit larger than its reported rating (by a few hundred mWhr) but not by this large of a difference or 4 whole Whr. For these reasons, we are seeing a falsely reported 45-Whr rated capacity when in actuality the real rated capacity is a bit higher at 49-Whr.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the performance of the pen is dictated by controller chip in the tablet itself. All the tech in the pens themselves (EMR & ES) work in tandem with that controller chip...>>

...A couple of comments about this:
    • Human interface devices, of which the pen is one, are the sum of their parts. Although the "controller chip" is an important part of the total UX, I don't think you can simply point to it as the sole source of improvements and casually wave away other parts of the system (as implied by the first half of the above quote). For example, people on these forums have complained about the initial activation force (IAF) of the N-trig legacy pens for years. But that's primarily controlled by the design of the pen, not the tablet-based hardware (although the software might be an influential contributor). The pen and the tablet hardware / firmware / software work together as a system, as the last half of the quote denotes.
    • Speaking about total UX, I wonder if anyone else caught something that Panos said when he was describing the nSP pen system; he mentioned hardware, but he also said something (can't remember the exact words) that suggested that the inking software had heuristic capabilities?!?? The implication was that the nSP learns your inking style and somehow optimizes or adapts to it! Maybe I misunderstood that, but if it's true the nSP (and, I guess, the Studio) may represent an even more significant improvement in inking UX than we think...?!??

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I actually thought Lisa saw the picture (BattteryInfo) you posted earlier and mistook that as 49Wh...>>
    <<...I am almost thoroughly convinced this is due to some sort of last minute change in the battery design...>>

...Sorry, but I'm not buying it, yet. The 45 Whr metric in the battery properties window is there for a reason. And it's not at all uncommon to be able to charge batteries, especially new batteries, above their "nominal" capacity. The observed excess capacity is more likely the result of conservative battery design and rating combined with manufacturing variability. The 4 excess Whrs represent slightly less than +10% of rated capacity... which would be a very typical production variance for a consumer-grade component...

kvoram likes this.
  8. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

When looking at the battery info on the units we had access to, they reported the same. Since MS is notoriously a little weak on getting their specs right, I go with what I see in front of my eyes LOL. Whether it's 47WHr (as MS told us) or 49, makes little functional difference for runtimes.

Omazic.iv and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess in about a month we should have iFixit's teardown and clear up the confusion about the actual battery capacity.

More importantly by then we will also have reviews that tell us how much MS was exaggerating with the 13.5h claim. o_O

10. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Can it be that 49Wh is for i5 without cooler, and that i7 is having 45Wh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk