Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

I feel the same way, but I just got a Surface 3 to tide me over until WOA so I can't even think about this new Surface Pro. Otherwise I think all the little improvements would have made it worth the current $200 premium over the now-reduced SP4.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My understanding is that in both EMR & ES based pen systems....the performance of the pen is dictated by controller chip in the tablet itself. All the tech in the pens themselves (EMR & ES) work in tandem with that controller chip. Like the old EMR UD Digitizer maxed at 256 levels of Pressure.....but became 1024 by way of firmware.....although many including myself would assume that was just numerical interpolation on Wacoms end for marketing purposes. But a true 1024 or more pressure level would (Presumably) need a physical hardware update to the actual digitizer in the tablet. With ES systems up to this point its been the same. Microsoft made many changes to the controller chip in the Pro 4 from the one in the Pro3. While the Pro 4 pen works on the Pro 3....it still behaves like a Pro 3 pen. Like my assumption would have been that this Pro "not 5" pen would still work on my Pro 3, but it still behave like a Pro 3 pen when used on a Pro 3.

So this Firmware update I find very interesting since it seems to basically add new fundamental function to an old system and that really hasn't been done before. Like adding Tilt purely by Firmware is a new twist. And if the Firmware does increase the Pressure genuinely....not just an Interpolation hack like Wacom did.....that really makes things interesting. Honestly if they didn't confirm firmware tilt with the Pro 3 and Surface 3....it would make alot more sense since...you could assume when Microsoft properly made the N-trig tech its own with the Pro 4 gen....they thought far enough ahead to make the controller chip capable of future advancements. Since the Pro 3 and Surface 3 used the old Duo-Sense 2 tech....plausible Microsoft could easily exclude both those from this new firmware update. And technically if this Firmware does improve the Duo-Sense 2 digitizer.....it should also be workable on both the Viao Z Canvas, and the new tablet offerings from Asus and HP which all use that older Duo Sense 2 tech.

Azzart likes this.
  3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Can I ask how we know that it's the Duo Sense 2 tech that's in the other tablets?

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pens from the recent Asus and HP tablets have the exact same nibs as the Pro 3 pen. (I've pulled the nibs out personally at Bestbuy to verify, unlike Wacom Nibs and Pro 4 nibs.....Due Sense 2 nibs can be easily pulled out by bare hand) Additionally....the Duo Sense 2 Digitizer has a few very notable tells. The Hovering distance is specifically short....and the biggest outright tip off is the N-trig Cursor lag. It was done as a way of saving power for the AAAA battery....but with that N-trig tech.....while contact with the screen was always pixel accurate....the hovering cursor was way slower. That alone is what threw alot of people off N-trig.....since if your used to EMR......you can't help but notice it right off the bat. Like use a Pro 3 or that new Penabled HP tablet Best Buy has on display.......and then go use a Pro 4....you'll see what I'm talking about. Its like Night and Day. And I've only seen that with N-trig. Wacom AES and EMR don't have the lag.....and I've used the Amtel/Synaptics pens at best buys.....and while the pen performance outright sucked....they didn't have the cursor lag either. Its a distinctive N-trig Duo Sense trait.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Since the 49 Whr battery is confirmed, here is another cool fact to consider. The $799 New Surface Pro's battery capacity is just as large as the $1799 MacBook Pro with Touchbar. As a matter of fact, here are the battery capacities and weights of the MacBook line compared with the New Surface Pro:

New Surface Pro (2017) - 49 Whr / 1.69 lbs
    MacBook Pro (Late 2016) with Touch Bar - 49.2 Whr / 3.02 lbs
    MacBook Pro (Late 2016) without Touch Bar - 54.5 Whr / 3.02 lbs

MacBook Air (Early 2015) - 54 Whr / 2.96 lbs
    MacBook (Early 2016) - 41.4 Whr / 2.03 lbs

Microsoft created the Surface that can finally replace and outperform both the MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro without any major drawbacks. It accomplishes this feat while costing far less and weighing less than any MacBook. Check. Your move, Apple.

Omazic.iv and alextrela182 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Just to clarify, rather than later this year, the more precise time frame for the LTE version is fall 2017. This would mean sometime between September 22nd and December 21st. I would imagine this would be before the holiday shopping season kicks off.

upload_2017-5-25_1-54-55.png

Omazic.iv likes this.
  7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow I'm really surprised HUGELY!!!!!!!!!:eek::vbeek::thumbsup:
    If 49.2Wh is true then kudos to MS.

It's almost jump almost 25% over battery capacity at SP4 meaning minimum 2-3 hours better battery life and reaching the goal of magical 8 hours truly all working day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Omazic.iv likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

I posted this earlier. Lisa Gade confirmed that 49 Whr is the actual rated battery life. The pre-production units currently on display are mistakenly showing 45 Whr as the rated value. Their approximate charged value they show is the correct rated 49-Whr capacity.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow just wow.
    Unbelievable,truly amazing.
    Well done to MS then.

It's something always wanted minimum 45Wh battery.

Did you run crystal disk mark also to see SSD performance??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

Same. :D A family member will be replacing both his iPad Air and Surface Pro 4 with this once the LTE model becomes available this fall.

I didn't run CrystalDiskMark, I am afraid. I totally should have. The Microsoft Store Surface Pro demo units do not block free Store apps. CrystalDiskMark is free on the Store. So you can install and run it in-store. If someone is venturing out next to give the Surface Pro a test drive, please install and run this benchmarking tool! :D