Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Not sure as the camera works, but there are times camera will just say can't find/recognize me. And I've scanned my face at least 30 times and yet it's the same thing. Even did a clean start of hello. Started first day I got the devices, which is way 1.5 days in having the replacement device I did a clean install of the OS again. Ugh. But, thankfully MS services is very good.

2. bloodycape

My Surface is stuck at 100% charge. It was working fn earlier, but now it's stuck at 100%. Ugh. I really not a fan of refurb replacement units.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My Surface is stuck at 100% charge...>>

...Have you tried to recalibrate? Run your surface until it shuts down, then immediately recharge it?

excalibur1814 likes this.
  4. bloodycape

I searched around the web and found my answer on reddit. Uninstalled the drivers for the battery and charger and did a hard shut down and that solved it.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Help. Just got a barely used SP 2017 w/LTE (not connected), did all the upgrades and the battery life is horrendous, like losing 10% every 20 minutes. Googled it all over and it is a common problem with numerous reliable sites say MS has neither acknowledged nor promised a fix. This doesn't just affect this model. CPU usage is very low, all I have up is a browser and I can't find anything!

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...did all the upgrades and the battery life is horrendous, like losing 10% every 20 minutes...>>

...Have you checked Task Manager to see what background processes are running? With battery depletion like this, something should really stick out...?

7. lovelaptops

Nothing. Total CPU usage is 4-9%, screen at 50%, only Edge, running 3 tabs. Even rolled back to 1809 and no change. :mad::eek::(

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Have you checked battery report (a built-in powercfg option) to check the battery health? If the battery has very little charge capacity remaining, it would run through 10% quickly, since 10% of a small number is still not a lot of “charge”. That would of course be bad news, but at least it would be an explanation.

9. lovelaptops

I have. It has 105% (!) of rated capacity, after only 22 recharges. No, this is a strange - but highly prevalent - experience with SP 4-6 models since May of last year. I thought it would be the 1903 update, but I have long had that on my Surface Book and it runs fine and gets great battery life. There is literally no app or service showing that it is draining the machine, which in my tests settles down to 4-9% cpu usage, 50% RAM usage, no incriminating info on the battery report. Clearly it's not a universal problem, but if you Google it users have been at their wits end every since for many battery life took a plunge in mid-2019 with no MS response. I guess it's possible that batteries have crapped out, but that's a very large number with no MS effort to recall or replace, and there's just nothing but "we're working on it" in all the MS site posts. Arrrgh!!! :mad::eek:. Google it and its rampant, and no one has a soultion, and this problem has existed for at least 4 months now - notably not before around June 2019. Again, rolling back to 1809 hasn't helped at all either.

I'm thinking of bringing it into an MS store because, though out of wtty, this is clearly a primo machine with very little use and I'm hoping they will be decent. I am in process of re-installing Windows clean and will report back. Any other thoughts - this is an outside-the-box thing, I fear, the locgical choices don't seem to have any effect.

Thanks for your efforts to assist. We really need this working by Friday!

JoeS likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Fascinating, and irritating... Which firmware are you on? Apparently firmware 241.1.139.0 "helps improve battery life". (From a volunteer MVP post on MS forums).

lovelaptops likes this.