Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The patent office has gone off the rails in the last few decades.

dellaster likes this.
  2. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Turn-around to send the Surface off for RMA in Australia was damn fast.
    Literally had a courier knocking at my door the same day I called up Microsoft to request and exchange. Minutes after I processed the request

Reason for RMA was the low battery life. Getting 28Wh after a year. Hopefully they fix it.

Also, hopefully it returns as quick as it departs...

3. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

New device arrived today. New battery with 48Wh in the tank.
    Hopefully I don't see the same 40% degredation after a year.
    Happy with the service though.

Telstar1948 and bloodycape like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Given that some of us had historical concerns about the stiffness of Microsoft's Type Cover, this is interesting:

https://www.neowin.net/news/a-thinner-type-cover-might-come-alongside-microsofts-surface-pro-7

(Courtesy of NeoWin site)

...The interesting thing about this is that I haven't seen anyone complain that the Type Cover is too thick. The patent text aside, what would be Microsoft's motivation for making the TC thinner...? Is it possible that the "heavily redesigned" SP7 might be thicker, and they're making the TC thinner to compensate... so that the combined thickness stays about the same as the current SP +TC designs...?

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Anyone else having issue where screen for no reason go dim and when choosing a different brightness, like 100%, it's not at full nit? Had to restart my computer twice yesterday just to get brightness back to normal. Then today had the intel graphic drivers crash mid watching a youtube video(screen when blank then got the green screen of death), and windows would not load. Windows kept failing. So, after trying repair options I tried to get into safe mode, but bitlocker made that a bit harder than it should be. Got into safe mode with network support, but no network support; so, I just deleted the intel gpu drivers(I assumed it was gpu related) and then choose whatever the latest drivers were on my device(which were from August) and was able to get into windows again. I tried to install the latest drivers from Intel, but it failed to install. after a google search it seems like MS isn't allowing Intel drivers to work. Has this happened to anyone else?

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The thought of the type cover being thinner kind of scares me to a degree.

The current type cover is pretty perfect as is.....aside from changes like adding a larger trackpad (like the Go) Or detachable Bluetooth functionality (zbookX2)....there’s not much they can change without messing it up. Specifically making the type cover thinner would indicate....they they would have interest in changing the actual keys........presumably in a similar way to how Apple changed the keyboards in their MacBooks to make them thinner.....and that in my opinion was not for the better. Macs used to have super comfy keyboards.....but the current keys are so unpleasant to use.....should the Surface follow suit.....that would be a step in the wrong direction.

7. bloodycape

Had to take in my Surface Pro unexpectedly to the MS store as keyboard stopped working midday on me. For a quick test it wasn't they keyboard but something with the computer. Since it was an hour until closing time they just replaced my computer with another SP5. This was is a refurb unit, as MS doesn't give out new replacements anymore like they did with my Surface 3. Also, told me that to get an SP6 replacement is when the SP7 has been out for like few weeks when I asked out of curiosity. This new device so far feels a bit slower than my previous one, but that may have to do with all the software updates going on and windows indexing and bitlocker doing whatever it does when a computer was just setup. Monday will be the real test as it will probably settle down by then. On the plus side have 15gb of extra free space now.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. bloodycape

Update: All the updates have been installed yesterday(about 14 hours ago). Battery life so far is about an hour and half less than my previous device and wifi seems to be slower. Will have to give it more time and see if those improve.

9. bloodycape

Windows hello stopped working well for me. I tried deleting and redoing my face from multiple different angles, and even reinstalled the drivers, but no go. So, I chatted with support last night and now will go Saturday to the MS store to have it replaced. Also, they forgot to transfer complete care on this the replacement(with the broken hello) device. Thankfully, he mentioned when the warranty was up and I was like that's not right.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If it's a hardware failure, that's unusual right? I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned for a surface pro.