Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Couple with all the rumors Steve S has linked to....Microsoft seems to be offering some significant discounts on the current nSP's.

The CoreM3/4GB/128GB is currently priced at $599.....and the more attractive Core i5/8GB/128GB mode is at $799.

I have to admit I'm somewhat conflicted at this exact moment. Every August I do a big trip.....and this years its for the whole month I'll be gone. But the timing for the new surface devices is somewhat unfortunate.

I'm currently considering what device to bring with me on my month long oddesy. I'm pretty set for bringing my Galaxy Book 10....but the lack of a Kickstand like the Surface Pros.......is actually a major drawback for traveling. My last trip I brought the Galaxy Book and constantly was wishing I brought my Surface Pro 3 instead. The adjustable built in kickstand is just so damn useful. But my now fairly old Pro 3.....is somewhat prone to glitches and the Battery Life is a shadow of what it was....making it a poor choice to take along with me.

So......I could just make do with my Galaxy Book 10.....which does go perfectly hand in hand with my Note 8 phone (Spen/USB-C)

But I could trade in my old Pro 3.....and Possibly my 2nd spare Pro 3 that suffered a dead SSD. I asked at my local Microsoft Store...and while it only technically boots into the bios.....the store clerk still suggested I bring it in....and there could be a chance they might be able to accept it. So if I trade in both Pro 3's and the Pro 3 type cover.....that could get me $500 ish off....towards the purchase of the i5/8GB nSP.....which certainly makes that an attractive option.

But if a 8th gen Quad Core/USB C refresh of the nSP is hitting this Fall....(to hold over till the proper Pro 6).........then Purchasing the now year old 7th gen is suddenly alot less attractive. Now the smaller 10-inch Surface (4)....thats supposed to hit this summer.....provided its got the Kickstand/USB C......and at least Core M3 level of performance......that would be pretty perfect for me, and if I could trade in both Pro 3's....it would be a perfect trade.

But I leave August 2nd......I just feel that if I hold out for the Surface 4.......it won't get released till after I'm already gone.....and if I do trade in towards the $799 i5/128GB.....Karma will almost dictate either the Surface 4 or refreshed nSP will hit as soon as I purchase it.

Come on Microsoft.....release the damn thing already!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

They are waiting for @Bronsky to report a "car accident" with his Surface 3 before releasing the Surface 4.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do like the idea of USB-C as I feel it is way more sturdy that micro-usb. I have to plug in my S3 just right or else it won't charge sometimes(used different cable and charge, same thing). Not good. That price on the nSP is very tempting, but I am really like the size of my S3 more. Maybe if the next gen SP was 12in in say a 11"(or even 11.6") body I may go that route. Or I may just go with the update Chromebook Plus, which is now using a Y series Celeron, moved to 16:10, and starts at $450 with the S-pen included.

4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Still haven't gotten 1803; just got another cumulative update for 1709 today. The suspense is killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

1803 is inbound; updating now. Fingers crossed.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

really don't think you should expect to see much visual or functional changes TBH.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So....I'm the proud owner of a nSP i5/8GB/128GB......an well.....one question to fellow nSP owners.....pardoned me if this has been discussed previously, but 163 pages into a thread, just making another inquiry seems more practical.

Whats up with the hovering speed? So I came from a Pro 3 with its N-trig/MPP typical hovering lag..... prior to this...I've only used the Pro 4 and nSP at Best Buy or Microsoft Stores and I was glad to see from the Pro 4 up.....the hovering speed increased significantly....to near EMR levels.

So.......now having a nSP.....it seems my in-store assessment was a bit off. The hovering speed is indeed faster....but only in the center of the screen.....its like the entire 1-2 inches around the devices edges....the hovering speed drops to its old speed......maybe I haven't gotten used to it yet.....but the sudden increase/decreasing in the hovering speed going from drawing to playing with toolbars and settings is kind of really annoying......in practice this feels worse then just having it completely at a slow speed. I'm somewhat miffed that I didn't discern this from store usage.......but is everyone's nSP (and Pro4) like this, or is it just my model?

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Is there aa model # for the new pro dock. I'm thinking about one for the Surface Go. There are so many different models that it's confusing.

9. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

there is a new pro dock?

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not new … current pro dock might be a better way to put it.