Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I got to do my mid-cycle tech refresh early from my m3. The 4GB RAM is dragging the system down more than I like on numerous occasions. The system has to constantly using ~7GB pagefile (slow virtual memory) to keep up with the memory demand. And it struggles to drive the quad-split-monitor setup w/ my new 43" LG display.

Received the 1TB version two days ago, with severe backlight bleeding (LOT# 1730 - they were still selling their old stock online? :(), even worse than my m3. Instant return. I still don't like the fan in the i7, which is constantly buzzing when the tablet is docked and doing only web browsing. It runs uncomfortably hot, just like the Pro 4. I realized how much I hate the fan (and heat) and it always gets worse through time. Night and day compared to the m3 that I have.

Motivated by @Chris_Kez , I then ordered the i5/256/8 (new) on sale with a free bag. I chose the most expensive 13" bag ($139) so that I can sell it easily to fruit fans:p. So it'll only cost me $960 to get a new i5/256/16 after a bit of ebay labor.

Most importantly, I can justify light bleed if I pay cheap (no way am I getting the 1TB w/ light bleed, which is like a blade thrusting into my heart lol). The newer i5/128/8 SKU or the LTE SKU has LOT# 18xx and has been seen light bleed free - a good sign. Finger crossed if I win the lottery.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.
  3. Steve S

A set of recommendations if you own a new Surface Pro (SP2017):

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-tempered-glass-screen-protector-surface-pro

(Courtesy of WindowsCentral site)

A couple of points to note:
    • In my last detailed look at tempered glass screen protectors, it appeared that they were all made from the same basic stock, 0.33 mm tempered glass sheet. SPs that claim to be 0.30 mm thick are likely actually 0.33 mm, too. So there appears to be no thinness "discriminator" for any of these products.
    • Likewise, they all appear to be 9H hard. So again, no discriminator.
    • One thing I did notice was the position and accuracy of the cut out for the cameras and the mic. At least one brand had a hole for the mic, but no cutout or hole for the cameras. From experience, I know that covering the cameras, even with a glass SP, introduces a noticeable layer of distortion in the camera image. It might sound like the "protection" is worth it, but don't do it!
    • Finally, I found some brands of glass SPs that appeared to have been originally designed for an earlier model of Surface Pro but were being sold for the current model. Since the cameras and mic have moved a little bit historically, be sure that your seller has a reasonable return policy, just in case.
    • Do I recommend a brand? When I last looked at SPs (a slightly different set of brands), I think I decided that the Sparin SP looked reasonable. But it was mostly personal choice because of the similarities noted above...

dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Any comments on the feeling or impact on touch/pen usage? I think in going to keep mine naked but then again I wouldn't mind something that cut down on reflectivity.
    Thanks for some actual product notes either way. I don't think Windows Central actually looks at any of these. They typically just put together lists of stuff they've seen on Amazon. I guess that's better than nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Steve S

<<...Any comments on the feeling or impact on touch/pen usage?..>>

@Chris_Kez : With regard to pen or inking "feel," all of the glass SPs that I have used provide a "slick" feel, just like a bare LCD screen. I haven't seen any glass SPs that offer a matte finish (like the HP Z Book X2), but just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean that they might not exist... somewhere...

With regard to touch / pen sensing, some users have reported a small but noticeable (to them) reduction in touch sensitivity when a screen protector is installed. Speaking only for myself, I have not noticed this effect with either plastic or glass screen protectors. Over time, I have probably used at least 5 of the former and three of the latter SP types on tablets of various vintages.

<<...I wouldn't mind something that cut down on reflectivity...>>

A tempered glass SP will not offer you any relief in this respect. The SP surface is, of course, as smooth and shiny as glass! Unfortunately, some of the best anti-reflection coatings require the use of metallic layers sputtered or vapor coated onto the first (i.e., outer) surface of the SP. These metal layers are incompatible with modern electronic pen / touch sensing grids. The only SP that I am aware of that has a reasonably effective anti-reflection coating is 3M Vikuiti which, as stated, is NOT compatible with modern touch screens. Another anti-reflection approach involves sophisticated micro-structuring of the first surface, but that technology has not yet come to any SP product that I am aware of.

So the only anti-reflection approach that is generally available is a simple matte finish (think: fine surface roughness). Matte finishes can be reasonably effective, but the down side is that they also introduce a certain degree of blurring to the optical image. In extreme cases, matte finishes can introduce periodic optical effects that some find very distracting. There are several brands of plastic SPs that offer varying degrees of matte density. I have written extensively about Photodon ( www.photodon.com ) films that offer a range of matte densities (and corresponding optical impacts). If reduced reflectivity is desired, this is about the only way that you can go...

(For more details, see Post #58 in this discussion thred: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-best-screen-protector.21750/ )

Finally, over the last few years I have been using tablets (typically Gorilla Glass 3 or later) both with and without some type of plastic or glass SP. While I believe that an SP is a prudent choice to guard the resale value of your tablet (and to protect against Murphy's Law), I am happy to report that modern Gorilla Glass screens appear to be very robust and scratch resistant, to the point that the choice of SP versus bare screen is now a simple matter of personal choice.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I revert back my statement on the i7. The fan is astonishingly quiet once Windows finish its updates and if you don't play games. I couldn't feel the fan and the tablet did not heat up when watching YouTube or Amazon videos for a prolonged period. I still hope Microsoft could engineer a switch to turn off the fan (battery saver does not count) though for peace of mind (and turn on the fan for heavy computation stuff). I think I can tolerate the fan if they manage to achieve the same feat for their quad core upgrade this fall.

I got my i5 and it's from a quite new batch (LOT#1815). I am glad to report that the bottom backlight bleed is significanlty reduced to a degree that I would not notice unless I am specifically looking into it. Too bad Microsoft lost an opportunity to take more money from me because the i7 I received has terrible bleed.

Performance wise, the 4GB and m3 is definitely a no go (the spec is so poor that you cannot even browse Internet properly, getting the m3 is one of my worst decisions:(). The i5/8gb is surprisingly snappy and it doesn't feel any slower than the i7/16gb. Combined with its fanless prowess, I say the experience is golden. Couldn't wait for the quad core upgrade and imagine how good that would be.

Azzart likes this.
  7. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

Occasionally I long for the more expensive i7, but 99% of the time I am content with my launch day i5/256/8. Those times are usually when I'm doing heavy Lightroom work and not wanting to wait for it to build full sized previews before editing. But those times are pretty rare. The only other time I notice performance issues is once in a while everything just seems to slow down... even doing Outlook things. I reboot, and all is good. I just chock that up to one of those "Windows things" and realize that I need to reboot it about once a week. As with yours, there is no noticeable light bleed.

8. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone still not get the 1803 update pushed out to them? I'm sure I could get it just by clicking "Check for updates" but at this point I'm kind of curious how long it will take Microsoft to push it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Steve S

More coverage of recent Surface product rumors similar to that already cited by dstrauss in the Surface 3 discussion thread:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/more-de...w-hardware-including-redesigned-surface-pro-6

(Courtesy of OnMSFT site)

Here's theVerge article. Note that it doesn't seem to mention the Andromeda device (and mentions of Andromeda seem spotty, at best...):

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17458376/microsoft-surface-pro-6-redesign-rumors

(Courtesy of theVerge site)

And here's Mary Jo herself:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/whats...ront-rumored-codenames-target-dates-and-more/

(Courtesy of ZDNet site)

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Steve S