Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Sometimes I really question that
    My last refurb had the screen overhanging the casing...
    No idea how that would pass any standards check

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry to hear that happened, but I think it's likely an exception. Do you feel otherwise?

3. DRTigerlilly

I don't know... There are just so many stories that make me wonder sometimes... Or people getting replacement machines that have issues out the box and it makes you question... How did this get through QA.... but then the same could be said of new units...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

4. lovelaptops

I put replacement machines and refurbs not done by the mfr in different categories than warranteed refurbs from mfrs. Still, wouldn't put anything past these spineless scoundrels!

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - easy is not in their vocabulary - and you still have the mSDXC slot to work with.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

I'm definitely talking DIRECTLY from Microsoft.

7. lovelaptops

I think it's fair to say from a stroll around the most popular threads on TPCR this month that these are very gloomy times for Microsoft customers. I do love my brand new SB I got from closeout (not from MS) for $825 with a Skylake i5-6200U/Nvidia GPU/8GB/256GB but I even decided not to get Complete for it - in part because they charge $250 for it because they *used to* sell my model for $1,999 while the Square Trade wtty thru Amazon, for an extra year, was $91, but also because I've heard nothing but bad things about the way Complete customers have been treated lately. Used to be I thought of Complete as the gold standard of extended warranties, but I have a strong impression that MS has made a conscious choice to "stop being so generous" with holders of that wtty. At least with Square Trade you know if you drop it you will get the full price paid by check in 5 days, not a possibly crappy refurb that will no longer be under wtty as several have reported receiving. Man, though, is this hardware nice!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    DRTigerlilly and dellaster like this.
  8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I got to do my mid-cycle tech refresh early from my m3. The 4GB RAM is dragging the system down more than I like on numerous occasions. The system has to constantly using ~7GB pagefile (slow virtual memory) to keep up with the memory demand. And it struggles to drive the quad-split-monitor setup w/ my new 43" LG display.

Received the 1TB version two days ago, with severe backlight bleeding (LOT# 1730 - they were still selling their old stock online? :(), even worse than my m3. Instant return. I still don't like the fan in the i7, which is constantly buzzing when the tablet is docked and doing only web browsing. It runs uncomfortably hot, just like the Pro 4. I realized how much I hate the fan (and heat) and it always gets worse through time. Night and day compared to the m3 that I have.

Motivated by @Chris_Kez , I then ordered the i5/256/8 (new) on sale with a free bag. I chose the most expensive 13" bag ($139) so that I can sell it easily to fruit fans:p. So it'll only cost me $960 to get a new i5/256/16 after a bit of ebay labor.

Most importantly, I can justify light bleed if I pay cheap (no way am I getting the 1TB w/ light bleed, which is like a blade thrusting into my heart lol). The newer i5/128/8 SKU or the LTE SKU has LOT# 18xx and has been seen light bleed free - a good sign. Finger crossed if I win the lottery.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

A set of recommendations if you own a new Surface Pro (SP2017):

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-tempered-glass-screen-protector-surface-pro

(Courtesy of WindowsCentral site)

A couple of points to note:
    • In my last detailed look at tempered glass screen protectors, it appeared that they were all made from the same basic stock, 0.33 mm tempered glass sheet. SPs that claim to be 0.30 mm thick are likely actually 0.33 mm, too. So there appears to be no thinness "discriminator" for any of these products.
    • Likewise, they all appear to be 9H hard. So again, no discriminator.
    • One thing I did notice was the position and accuracy of the cut out for the cameras and the mic. At least one brand had a hole for the mic, but no cutout or hole for the cameras. From experience, I know that covering the cameras, even with a glass SP, introduces a noticeable layer of distortion in the camera image. It might sound like the "protection" is worth it, but don't do it!
    • Finally, I found some brands of glass SPs that appeared to have been originally designed for an earlier model of Surface Pro but were being sold for the current model. Since the cameras and mic have moved a little bit historically, be sure that your seller has a reasonable return policy, just in case.
    • Do I recommend a brand? When I last looked at SPs (a slightly different set of brands), I think I decided that the Sparin SP looked reasonable. But it was mostly personal choice because of the similarities noted above...

dstrauss and Chris_Kez like this.