Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I would call myself an information worker (lead a team in a software company) and I use my SP for work (MS Office Suite, MS Project, Firefox/Edge/Chrome, and OneNote with inking notes) and home (Microsoft Email, Adobe Lightroom, Firefox/Edge/Chrome, ScanSnap scanning, Netflix). I also use a Note 8 and like being able to exchange inked material back and forth between the devices. I've had the i5/8/256 version since it was first released and had no light bleed or pen problems. I have really enjoyed using it. Two people that work for me have bought SPs with their own funds after watching what I can do with mine.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I recommended it because users have reported seeing improvement with calibration...I'm aware it's due to the tilt functionality present in the pen and interference.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Careful with bonds just now; that market is highly volatile lately. Trumponomics :eek::eek::eek:

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Decisions, decisions...
    i5/8GB/128GB for $899 (new, sale)
    i5/8GB/256GB for $939 (refurb)
    i5/8GB/256GB for $1099 (new, sale)
    Pulling the trigger tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Talking about pulling triggers. After hunting a SP without lightbleed for a year now, I have succeeded!

Microsoft is discounting the i5/8GB/256SSD across retailer here - 50 euros off (now €1293 where I shop) and a free type cover. So, really good deal, buuut... lightbleed issues still persist! The units in the store were from batch 1749 (and they all came in recently).

Fortunately, the new SKU with 128GB SSD just came out. Not discounted, but cheaper by itself. Unit was from batch 1814 - no lightbleed! Yay! So, I took that one home and I'm really happy with it. :)

Bronsky likes this.
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Refurb 256Gb all day long. I can then put the saved cash into a gigantic MicroSD card.

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I agree with @excalibur1814, if you can get the one year warranty on the refurb (assuming it is coming from Microsoft and not a third party refurb). Amazon pricing on 400gb mSDXC is $195...

8. Chris_Kez

A chat rep said last night I could get Microsoft Complete with a refurb, but the online store will not let me. That's kind of a bummer. I'd rather have two years of Complete than just the one year limited warranty.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Go back and use the online store chat rep to help you through the purchase - bet you get it that way...I had that same issue crop up with my daughter's ed discount purchase and had to have the rep walk through it with me...

10. Chris_Kez

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with them. He wasn't able to do it; he said that as recently as a few months ago he had been able to add Complete to refurb devices, but it wasn't working now. I'm now tempted to save the $40 and just go with the 128GB storage option. I've been using a Surface 3 with 128GB and it hasn't been an issue. They never make this easy, do they?