Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Please do a diagonal jitter test, one in Paint and one in Sketchpad if possible. (If no camera available, just save the pngs and email to your self. ;)) Thanks!

2. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Best Buy is going to be an early casualty of the retail establishment crumble. They literally never have anything decent on display or if they do, its weeks late.

Steve S, sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I just spoke to the Store representatives and they do not have the new stylus or Surface Pen in yet. Sorry. :(

4. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

"The last generation keyboard will still work, and likely be available, but Microsoft is touting the new Signature Type Covers, which offer Alcantara fabric over the keyboards for a softer feel, and they are available in Platinum, Burgundy, and Cobalt Blue, which happens to coincide with the colors of the new pen, if you’re into matching sets. The Alcantara is covered in a polyurethane coating to provide protection from liquids and oils, so hopefully they will hold up well. The Alcantara on the Surface Ergonomic keyboard has been pretty decent so far."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11434/microsoft-announces-the-new-surface-pro

It's the only place I've seen it mentioned so far.

Steve S and Marty like this.
  5. Marty

How bout just with SP4 pen? Theoretically, the digitizing resolution should be same (regardless of the pen), so even testing the older pen will give us a good idea of any jitter improvements.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

what was the battery on the SP4?

nevermind its 39 from the below discussion....

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, will this new pen work on a Surface 3? By work, I mean will the features such as tilt be available on an S3 when you use the new pen. Or is there a unique controller on the new SPs?

8. Marty

There is a new controller in the SP5 (I don't care, I'm still calling it that :p), but from my understanding, it's only required for the direct-to-screen low-latency ink rendering.

Tilt sensing will require the new Pen and the feature will be added via firmware update to the older Surface models with N-Trig digitizers (except the Laptop, as noted on the store page):

(Ars Technica)
    "Initially, the tilt feature will only be available on the new Pro, but Microsoft has told us that it plans to release updates for certain older systems to enable tilt. The Surface Studio, being a machine that is in many ways built for artists, will particularly benefit from such an update."

Steve S and Bronsky like this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't get too excited, you have to look at the "Designed Capacity" which is 45 Wh. That is the rated capacity value, which we can compare to other devices. I think, not 100% sure how BatteryInfoView tool measures/calculates. Still a nice improvement over the SP4's 39 Wh.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I already noticed this. However, all the four other Surface Pro (2017)'s showed this very same number.

EDIT: Lisa Gade confirmed a 49 Whr battery. It must have been a last minute change which is not being correctly shown in the preproduction models on display. However, the on-screen charged capacity of 49 Whr, which reflects the actual rating, is correct.

Utan-chan likes this.