Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Good thinking. With the yield curve flattening that sounds like where the smart $ would go - especially when you won't need the cash for at least 3 years! Btw, can I have 1st dibs on your Note 5 - provided you haven't scratched a hole through your display protector?

2. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still loving my i5/8/256. I've circled the globe with it a few times and nothing better for travel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jayjapanb and Bronsky like this.
  3. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Ugh, y'all lucky. Nothing but stupid lightbleeding units here. I might try the new i5/8GB/128SSD to see if that newer batch is better.

But by now I'm also kind of expecting a SP and SL update to be announced at any time...

4. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess it is luck. I bought mine last year and light bleed has been next to nothing. I think the bottom left corner might have a subtle glow that's only remotely visible at a 70% grey and even then it's almost as if I'm imagining it. So there are definitely some good ones out there, unless you're planning on being really neurotic about it.

Do use the pen? The pen is still the big issue with the tablet. My Bamboo Ink goes nuts sometimes and has bad battery life and the 2017 Pen has good battery life but has that cursor shift.

What do people use their Surface Pros for anyway? I feel like if I wasn't an artist, I'd just get a macbook or something. I was really surprised when the Eve V community didn't care about the pen at all.

5. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

If I get it, it won't be for the pen. I love the form factor: it's small enough to be functional as a tablet, but the screen is big enough to work off of. The whole package, with the type cover, just looks amazing the hardware is all top-notch. So I'd mainly use it as a laptop during the day and as a tablet at night on the couch (reading, watching video).

Honestly I could probably do with a conventional laptop, but this thing is just so awesome.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Have you tried calibrating the pen?

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I got it from Office Depot. When I brought it up to the store manager there he gave me a 2 year squaretrade warranty with accident protection for free. I think I will still probably go to MSFT with the receipt/invoice and see what they say. Luckily there is a microsoft store not too far from home so possibly this weekend I will swing in there. 6 weeks though, that's a bummer.

8. kitenski

kitenski Pen Pal - Newbie

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

10. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep. Calibration isn't the issue. The issue is likely more to do with the tilt engine messing up the hover cursor. The Pen hover is perfectly accurate when perpendicular and Ntrig pens other than the 2017 tilt pen, such as the SP4 and Bamboo Ink pens, don't exhibit the same issues.

As for the Bamboo ink: It just seems extremely susceptible to interference of some kind. There is one room in particular which I've had the most issues in. I've just switched back to the jumpy 2017 pen. If I ignore the hover cursor it's perfectly accurate and doesn't seem to have any major breakdowns like the Ink.