Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

I get that, but where exactly?

2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

4bc274df-7974-491a-979e-3382cd6c9268.png
    From Microsoft's site. It probably looks like this.

3. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome, thanks, I'll certainly look for it. Are the job lots numbered across SKUs? And starting from which number should I be safe?

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

So I just purchased a Surface Pro from a local store and went to register my warranty and its showing only 5 months left... through October 2018. Is this normal? I thought it would have 12 months....

FWIW mine has some serious back light bleed on the lower left side. Its not too bad, but certainly draws your attention on a black screen or boxed video.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

What store did you purchase it from? It happens, and you need to sort it out ASAP, currently going through that drama myself and it's been almost 6 weeks, trying to get it sorted out.

They will ask for copies of your receipt.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you feel the i5 surface pro newest version is the best option for people who want fanless, full sized USB type A and pen? I just wonder since it's been a year if anything has overtaken it

still have my surface pro 4 but the fan noise is getting worse

7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I would say so. My brother has the i5 model with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD and he loves it for work and play. He has had no problems so far since last summer whether working on press releases or playing NBA 2K14 on it.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes. I have waivered between the I5 fanless pro and the GB 10. I've elected to wait since my unit is still working fine.

I feel your pain.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@Bronsky , Esq, seems to me that you shouldn't go near something as modern as the current Surface Pro. I mean, we're talking 2017 technology when your S3 is barely broken in! Besides, at 12.3" that's an awfully large and heavy lift. Wouldn't you need a dolly of some sort to tote both that massive device (over 2.5 lbs with type cover, which also adds a budget-busting $139 to your purchase price.) Add a pen and a Complete warranty and, even at 4GB/128GB (ridiculous overkill, I know, but the blood suckers at MS just won't sell 2GB/64GBeMMC devices anymore for people who aren't simulating global weather conditions on their tablets!) we're probably talking $1,300 for the package. For that kind of money you could purchase an HP 2740p, upgrade to a 128GB SSD and put the $1,050 left over in a bank CD paying 1.5%. Then, in 4 years, the soonest you might find your Note 5 needs upgrading to a Note 8, the $250 you'll need to spend for a used one will have been earned in interest in that CD and you'll still have $1,050 left in the bank to upgrade, circa 2023, to that 2017 nSP device, maybe even treat yourself to 8GB RAM!:p:p:p

Says the man who secretly wishes he had purchased a used Note 5 when my note 4 died instead of a pretty useless Pixel 2 that guarantees I will not be able to take notes but will be the first to get all the privacy-invading AI features I have no use for! Also the man who just sprung $890 for a bare-bones SB(1) that feels wonderful but doesn't perform better in any meaningful way than my 2013 Thinkpad Yoga 12 (i5-4215/8GB/128GB) with EMR digitizer!!!

PS: Yes, there were definitely more productive things I could have done with the time I spent writing this, but none would have been as entertaining! :D Pax et Lux!

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You just about hit the nail on the head (he says while typing on his 3 year old … and counting … Surface 3):vbwink:. Although I would probably put the $1,050 in a medium term treasury note.

nnthemperor likes this.