Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...what does this MS dongle do that a simple converter on AMAZON doesn't?..>>

...My guess is that there are two things:
    • USB-C offers a data rate of 10 Gbps versus 5Gbps
    • USB-C offers power up to 20V at 5A versus 5V at 1.8A

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry, but that needs to take an extra year to produce???? And you can bet it is substantially above $8.99...

3. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not getting nearly that, a few weeks at best with light usage. Is she using in on a Surface or some other device?

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A Yoga 720.

5. Arachas

Arachas Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I walked out of this discussion here after deciding to go for a Macbook Pro. And... I'm back.

Besides the fact that even the Macbook had problems (I had my first unit replaced within the first week, enter key got stuck), the build quality was awesome. No lightbleed, sturdy, didn't scratch... good, good.

After 6 months, however, all the Apple stuff was bugging the heck out of me: all the peripherals SUCK (try finding a dock that works... I tried 4 units, from different manufacturers, they all had trouble finding ethernet/usb/display whatever else I put in there). I couldn't run Skype and Firefox or Chome with a couple of tabs, or the fan would start blowing like mad. MacOS isn't as smooth as it used to be, either.

And, well, what I really wanted was a SP. So, screw, I got rid of it, and now I want a Windows machine.

Question to you fine folks: is the SP5 still worth getting, or should I wait for one with an 8th gen processor?

dstrauss and excalibur1814 like this.
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After using a Surface Book 2, for a couple of months, a Surface pro with a quad would be absolutely amazing. But you could wait forever?

dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Arachas - I agree with @excalibur1814 - as a 8th Gen SB2 owner, I'd say wait, but that could be six months or more at best.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

the zodiak looks like the sony branded stylus for the vaio z though, so not suprised.
    It's probably just a rebranded vaio z canvas pen.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

It usually is from the ebay and amazon I search I did. Some will be Asus N-trig pen with the Asus blacked out, same with the Vaio ones(some are even the Flip pens) and some even are the Surface Pro 3 pen without the top button. I dunno how these people are getting away with it, but from the reviews on amazon people don't seem to mind(some even were happy it was an Asus or Sony pen).