Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

But they sluggishly do their job with so much awe-inspiring graphical splendor! Worth it!! ;)

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Both those were OTA? Could be some problem with Microsoft's servers, God knows they're under constant attack. Don't you have a USB backup you can install from? Make sure the router is unplugged while re-installing.

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Did the trick - thanks southdunes!

They were OTA, but I wanted to do a fresh install, not restore a backup. Luckily the media creation tool worked!

southdunes likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

5. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think sanity lost the battle when, they compromised battery size for slimness. And when they started making phone bodies out of glass, all hope was lost. The fact that the smartphonephablets that are meant to replace everything from our pocket totebook to diary and maps and phone, don't come with a pen, is the proof that consumer tech left the realm of usefulness long time ago. the enterprise sector still hasn't lost touch of reality. Consumer tech should take inspiration from there. Rugged old replaceable plastic. Reliable and predictable software, that u can depend on.

Last time i dropped a feature phone or a pocketbook or my notebook or a map on the floor, none of these items shattered into pieces. First we replaced our essentials with a smartphone and an ultrabook combo, and then we replaced them with jewellery - yes that's what they are apple watch, note8, iphonex, surface products, they are all fragile jewellery. No wonder we can't afford them anymore. We have traded our essentials for jewellery, and on top of it there is a boutique android phone brand that has the audacity to call itself, essential. And now there will be a notchon every phone display for atleast a decade to come. And much uglier plastic covers on beautiful ceramic bodies that are too pristine to be kept naked.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Very true. But at the same time a lot of the products you mention are decades old; stuck on old paradigms and dragging along a mammoth-sized code base. The fact that they do essentially the same thing year-after-year should come as no surprise.

If you want to look to see actual evolution in computing, you need to look at smaller software and new paradigms. For example, deep-convolutional neural networks, distributed block chain verification (cryptocurrency), new internet APIs like WebSockets and WebGL—all this stuff you could not do in the old days.

Now that all might sound like mumbo-jumbo to you, but I'm sure you'd agree: a person sitting inside a moldy old box can't rightly complain about things not smelling any fresher. ;)

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

DWLo_O

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

siddhartth likes this.
  9. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky and siddhartth like this.
  10. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll take glass over plastic any day for a phone screen. Glass is more durable when it comes to scratch resistance. It's also reasonably shatter resistant. I've been rocking the same iPhone, naked, for 4.5 years, it's scratched but it looks better than any plastic screen or screen protector. No cracks and I've dropped it heaps. It partly comes down to luck but gorilla glass is not as fragile as people make it out to be. Plastic just looks like **** really quickly. The job of your screen is to be looked at.

I don't like glass backed phones either but even that has a feature (wireless charging).

I will say though, battery life and durability should be higher on the "to do" list of smartphone manufacturers. As a person who has a reasonably old smartphone I do get surprised that people buy one every two years. What does it do different? Camera might be a bit better but other than that they don't change much. Super fast CPUs, QHD screens and 8gb of ram on a tiny 5inch device is even more crazy than worrying about how slim they are imo. At least with a computer you can pretend you need it.