Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I'm returning mine for other reasons, I found my core M 2017 nSP to be quite zippy. The 100% disk use is not normal, and would be what is slowing your device down like crazy (whenever I've had devices at 100% disk usage, the thing becomes unusable). Is it perhaps still doing Windows Defender Scans, hard drive cataloging, etc.? I might give it a couple of days to settle down and see if you're still having issues.

2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

My m3 SP5 is also slow as hell, and I do have a fast Samsung drive. Damn!

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A nice retrospective on the 5-year anniversary of the Surface Pro:

Panos and the Surface team certainly have a lot to be proud of. They redefined an industry, breathing new life into the form-factor we all love.

Cheers!

OzarkCDN and yodamiked like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Good thing DRTigerlily wasn't there...

siddhartth, DRTigerlilly and Marty like this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I thought that assassin to Panos' right WAS the DRTigerlily...

siddhartth and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Bronsky and southdunes like this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Accurate on both accounts, as I fight the dead type cover issue on an SP3. (bear in mind it works perfectly w/o issue on the SP4, and the device has been reset multiple times, and tested with two known working type covers, they work intermittently and keep disappearing from device manager)

siddhartth and Bronsky like this.
  8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I think this is a new one...

I've done 2 factory resets on my SP2017, and both times the same situation has resulted: I can't access the Control Panel or the Action Center at all, and therefore can't adjust settings at all. Swiping In from the right edge or tapping the Notification Icon to access the Action Center has no result at all, as if I hadn't even touched/tapped the screen. Bringing up the Start Menu and searching for Control Panel, or any related setting, I get search results that likewise cannot be touched or clicked on. In addition, right-clicking the display to try and change display settings brings up an error message that says something like 'this action does not have any program associated with it...'.

The resets themselves both seemed to go fine. They each took about 45 minutes, no stalls or loops at any point, and completed fully. They were both full resets - I didn't try to keep any files.

The machine is just a few months old, but it was purchased by my school's IT department and I'm loathe to confront that red tape if there's anything else for me to try first.

Anyone ever heard of this, or have any suggestions for something else to try? It's just so weird!

Thanks folks.

9. southdunes

southdunes Scribbler - Standard Member

Had a similar occurrence with a desktop, clean install using the media creation tool was the remedy for me.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This going to sound stupid - but I'm good at that:

Have you ever stopped to think we've outsmarted ourselves? Compare the things you do with your computer today, to what you did ten or twenty (or heaven forbid 30) years ago. Word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, web browsing. Now, excluding the true creatives among us who paint beautiful pictures, edit multi-megapixel photographs, or massage 4k videos, not much has changed in the office drone world.

Today we have hardware that is is so advanced it makes our 286, 386, 486, Pentium systems of old look like stone knives and bear skins (shoot, @Bronsky 's Atom based S3 would be a supercomputer back then), yet they are constantly in turmoil, fragile pieces of silicon stacked on a software foundation that often leaves them crawling no faster than the systems we used oh so long ago. Features are unendingly added to Windows, MacOS, Office. Adobe, etc. that suck up more processor cycles, cause conflicts and mayhem (yes, I was thinking about the Allstate commercial just then), while we basically output the same end product for a new generation. How would Lotus 123 of old run on a 8th gen Intel processor with 16gb RAM and 1TB SSD? Probably not much better, but certainly faster.

My point is, as Luddite as this sounds, how do we get off the treadmill to nowhere? I guess there is no profit (or fun) in just making everything run every time you start it, without hiccups and conflicts with everything else you are doing. Just look at @dbrn 's dilemma - why does it have to be this way? Because we outsmarted ourselves in the quest for ever faster, ever thinner, ever more powerful, and ever so much more advanced hardware and software just to get ourselves from Point A to Point B, just as we did before...

djas, Jayjapanb, Marty and 4 others like this.