Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

The battery capacity for i7 should be much higher than fanless i5 to keep 13.5 hours. How they manage to have same weight?

Also, jittering pen was the most annoying thing for me in SP3. And I think I have to wait for Wacom like experience maybe.

2. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gizmodo (I know but let's assume they get something right) is reporting that the SP has a 47 Wh battery. This puts it on par with the HP Elite x2 1012 G2 (47 Wh, Core i-U) and the Eve V (48 Wh, Core m/i-Y).
    While MS claims max. 13.5 h battery lfie, HP states 10.25 h and Eve states 12 h.
    HP has one benefit of fast-charging to 50% in 30 minutes.

It will be interesting how Eve V's m3 compares to the SP's m3 and how the Elite's i5/i7-U compare to the SP's i5/i7-U.

I think this is a nice tendency to actually increase battery capacity vs. always making these only slimmer and diminishing space for the battery.

@manuelcalavera The i7 of the SP simply won't have the same battery life, nor does MS claim it will have that. Like any other manufacturer they advertise only a theoretical maximum that they measured under specific circumstances.

3. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But one advantage of the G2 is thunderbold.
    Since I have a working USB-C with PD with my cube mix plus I would hate to go back to something else.

4. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

According to Microsoft, tilt support even includes Surface 3, but is not compatible with Surface Laptop. This has to be intentional - someone at Microsoft must have decided that people won't use the Laptop for art, so they turn it off through a software switch. I am not happy with their decision on this at all. Either include full pen support, or drop it completely. It doesn't make business sense either - why wouldn't they want people to spend $100 on the new pen for the Laptop? Now that I know tilt won't work, I would simply pick up a used Pro 4 pen. Microsoft's decision just makes me crazy.

Compatibility

Surface Studio
    Surface Laptop (no tilt functionality)
    Surface Book
    Surface Pro
    Surface Pro 4
    Surface Pro 3
    Surface 3

As to the battery life, it's tested using the i5 model with simply hardware video-playback (nothing like real life situation). Looking at past record, the i7 most likely have the same battery capacity, therefore less battery life. I am totally done with Microsoft's false claims after consistently getting only 2-3hrs of real life battery life from the i7 Pro 4 model (w/ multiple replacements). Microsoft should be ashamed of these battery life claims and it's tarnishing the brand. Unfortunately, if you are tied to the Windows ecosystem, there is nothing you can do. It's been like this for ages. A 49Wh Macbook will put a 78Wh Surface Book to shame while running the same load. Unless they double their claims, the Macbook will destroy them.

Utan-chan likes this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find that the battery life changes depending on what you do... I know that's shocking but it's true. They've made a claim, under certain circumstances, which is video playback, so anything other than that will change the running time. They ALL do it, even Apple.

If MS didn't release a 4Gb, 128Gb model, there would be people complaining that they cannot justify the cost of the 8Gb/256Gb Pro. Heck at least the 64Gb version (i3) has been vanished since the 4.

"Intel Core m3-7Y30 (2C/4T, 1.0-2.6GHz, 4MB L3, 14nm, 4.5w)" - Need to know the battery life! Hope it's more than 12+

6. wataru

I'd wait for @sonichedgehog360 to extract the battery capacity info by running a battery report while he is at the Store. Then we'll have a rough estimate. We know the m3 Pro 4 is 38Wh. The Laptop is reportedly 45Wh - if true, I can only see the new Pro gets 42Wh. Basically no change at all.:(

The only thing I like about my 12" Macbook is its battery life. The battery runs circles around my SP4 :confused:. But besides that, nothing else. I agree the m3 model is the only good deal. The price of the pen is a robbery though.

7. wataru

Expressii - the art app for eastern watercolor painting/calligraphy demoed in the announcement. $89 in the windows store now available, $59 outside the store, free trial available. Main highlights are the more realistic brush modeling, on-screen brush shadowing, and tilt/rotation support.

Utan-chan and DaniJoy like this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

On one hand....I can somewhat understand since the Laptops form factor and inability to yoga or anything makes it the poorest drawing device of the bunch.....that being said....ommiting the feature seems pointless. Given how this firmware update will seemingly add tilt to all N-trig based systems.....you'd think it would be easier for Microsoft to just make tilt enabled down the entire line over deliberately halting one device. it just seems excessively petty....regardless how useful that feature will end up being.

9. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

Well we talk about Microsoft Surface eco system, it should be a must for them, that you can use same accessories on all offered devices in same way, that is a logic... you call your devices Surface, meaning that on that surface you can do something, and if some professional (company or individual) enter that eco system then why limit them? We know Apple need to do it, as their imac, macbooks, mac pro and mac mini run macos, and ipods run ios so border is kind of clear... but here with microsoft?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone knows if Microsoft used aluminum for the frame this time? Or that same insta-scratch magnesium BS?