Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

So LTE in 2018???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well it literally says so on the product page, so my guess is “yes”.

3. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

So Fall Creators Update. I installed it and a few growing pains. Bluetooth mouse has been a little weird. Got an updated drive pushed down and that helped, but still isn't completely smooth. Could be related to growing pain number 2. I heavily use OneDrive for personal use and business, and had many GB of files synced to each OneDrive. Apparently the new default for Files On Demand is OneDrive only, so it has removed the files from my drive and replaced them with the Files On Demand version. This was NOT the expected behavior, and seems quite risky to me, not to mention the bandwidth it will take to bring them back. My machine has been very sluggish, almost to the point of unusable as OneDrive is still processing my files. I can't reverse what it did until after it finishes. The bottom line is that I like Files On Demand and will definitely use it going forward to free up space for things that are more archival, but their default choice was backwards. I would have preferred it defaulted to synced, and let me choose to free space on my own.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Apparently Microsoft has reported to several sources that they will have an LTE version of the Surface Pro out in 2017 (68 days and counting). The language at their site has been removed, which talked of smaller, faster, lighter constantly connected devices (code for WOA).

5. yuriylsh

yuriylsh Pen Pal - Newbie

6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft Mechanics YouTube channel has a video on the nSP LTE:

The video confirms what was previously discussed on this forum. LTE modem occupies space previously used for a fan, so no i7 version is available. They also mention that LTE modem is a "reference design", so maybe that is what took them longer to figure things out that were easily copyable/usable by other OEMs?

7. Step666

Step666 Pen Pal - Newbie

I appreciate everyone's needs are, to a degree, unique but I for one can live with that.

What I can't get my head round is why they are sticking to the same 2 capacity options for the LTE version as they are with the wi-fi-only i5 SP - correct me if I'm wrong but a higher-capacity SSD alone doesn't necessitate a fan.
    And it's not like I have the option pay more for an i7 LTE model with more storage as it doesn't exist.

I would've thought that the sort of customer who wants LTE for the sake of being able to operate on the move would also appreciate the option of a higher capacity model, so they don't have to tote round external drives etc.

8. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This looks very promising....I’ll wait for battery life details.
    I wish there was a mini version,too.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

WillAdams likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator