Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. PhysicalTherapyGuy

PhysicalTherapyGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, finally! Maybe I'll be the only person to be more happy than disappointed with the update. If the battery life is as improved as advertised, that will be a huge selling point for me. They also smoothed out the edges which I had hoped they would do, so that will give it a more *gasp* iPad-like feel.

Like everybody else, I'm disappointed with the pricing. 128 GB hard drives should not be sold in 2017, that's just too little storage. I'm not surprised with the pen cost increase, I thought they could get away with that on the Surface Pro 4 model, but to sell it separately seems to actually detract from the message/mission of the Surface Pro series. Not surprised about the keyboard being sold separately. Will the Surface Pro 4 keyboard work with the Surface Pro?

Anyway, battery life was my big concern that was holding me back from the Surface Pro 4. Now that's addressed. I'm really tempted to buy this. In fact, I'm sure I will, it's just a matter of when.

I'm looking forward to reviews. Anybody know when Microsoft will allow reviews i.e. the cut off date?

Omazic.iv and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

It would be ironic (?) if the new Surface pen made the Bamboo pen irrelevant...

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Can the Type Cover 4 be used with the new Surface Pro?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can the Type Cover 4 be used with the new Surface Pro?..>>

...I didn't try it, but it looks like it would fit. I'm not aware of any functional or electronic changes...

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

There was a bunch of new engineering in both the Laptop and Surface Pro - the new hinge, working on the flex to make it thinner and of course the new pen. We've worked with the Surface team on Retail Marketing and it was going to be ready when it was ready :)

When ever there is a launch event I have to be very cautious not let anything slip :)

6. jnjroach

I haven't seen any benchmarks....

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@jnjroach So anything you can tell us about the pen?

8. jnjroach

Not much beyond what you've seen already...there was a bunch of work between WDG and Office IIRC they worked with the normal actors like Adobe. I know that the worked heavily on it to add the new functionality.

9. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

And 4gb of ram??? Yes I know there is 16gb max, but again 4gb of ram?? Just put in place 8 or 16 and thats it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is an important question I had: is Adobe working with MS to update their software to use the new UWP DirectInk API? Or are they just modifying their own custom rendering engine to support the new low-level MSFT Pen Protocol features like tilt and "direct-to-screen" rendering?

Also generally speaking, will most popular drawing apps have to be heavily recoded to support the new lower-latency rendering, or will MS provide an easy bridge for applications using the old RealTimeStylus API?