Surface Pro (2017) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, May 21, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

They might try and pay with Nokia stock. On a more serious note, that is actually a fabulous idea. But wouldn't DoJ get a hissy fit?

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It would be an unprecedented move and it would shake Intel off its pedestal if Microsoft broke the decades old Wintel alliance that has been a chief cornerstone of the PC market. There are decades of corporate culture and social expectations deeply rooted in the social belief that where Microsoft goes, so goes Intel and vice versa. It is as natural to expect peanut butter with jelly as it is to expect an Microsoft Windows PC with an Intel processor inside. A move of this nature would break against all old preconceptions and make the entire investor pool finally take seriously what has happened at AMD. The fallout would very likely accelerate the market shift towards AMD and lead to them hitting the $18 share value a few audacious investors keep saying is on course to occur. Likewise, it would also likely lead to a heavy blow to Intel that they could not quite recover from for at least a decade since no one would ever forget a moment like it. This may very well end up being just silly Internet theory, but this would make for a significant moment in history when the Wintel era ended and the dawn of the new AMD and Microsoft alliance began. Remember: Microsoft has worked extremely closely with and has a strong relationship with AMD already in their Windows and Devices group, in developing custom APUs for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One S and now Xbox One X (Project Scorpio). In terms of optics, although this would be a drastic change externally to the world, internally at Microsoft they would be already cozy and well-adapted given they have now spent nearly 15 years working closely in the home console market (the Xbox 360's development dates all the way back to early 2003).

This would be very cool but I am not sure this is quite as likely. It would allow Microsoft to build their hardware and software to work with each other with incredible synergy. Neither would need to worry about holding back any proprietary information. It would also ensure a clear line of communicate between both sides of the PC paradigm. My only worry is the kind of monopoly that would lead to, where we would end up with a Frankenstein potentially much worse than Intel alone ever was. True, ARM and Apple would still pose a threat on some level or another, but there will always be a need for the PC in corporations and data centers (which is a far larger market than the consumer market) and they would have direct control of the two most fundamental and expensive pieces of that product. They would dictate everything on processor design and operating system design and competitors (such as Intel) of either would have to follow suit or watch themselves be steamrolled. Given the fact that Microsoft would be building Windows and AMD to run optimally together and, in turn, both as a single entity would be heavily shielded from Intel, I fear that this would lead again to square one with market stagnation and price hikes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Omazic.iv likes this.
  3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's worth noting that Intel funded NeXT on at least one occasion --- paid off quite well if one looks at the money they earn on Apple switching to Intel.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ha ha ha - never thought about such a good use for the Nokia "paper" they have in their portfolio. Kind of like paying with Enron bonds...

I don't know that DOJ has hissy fits over anything anymore - witness the Verizon bait-and-switch this year with "new" unlimited data plans that six month later get reduced to 480p video across the board - deja vu all over again...I think DOJ lives by the old Irish proverb - fool me (consumer) once, shame on you (Verizon), fool me (consumer) twice, shame on me (consumer)...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using an i7 nSP, all day today, which has meant that I prepared myself for the 'fan' noise! After the initial config and clean install it's not disturbed me at all. The Surface has come a long way since the 'blasting' i7 of the SP3. Happy.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

@surfaceproartist you might want to try the newly released update of Clip Studio.
    Sadly, it doesn't seem to make any difference on the Galaxy Book.

7. Omazic.iv

Omazic.iv Pen Pal - Newbie

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I really think the processor refresh will be limited to the Surface Book 2, because it is already a naturally designed CPU plus dGPU design. I would think squeezing that in the nSP would be tough at best without new heat pipes and other system designs. My gut says new Surface Book 2 (with 8th Gen Intel and NVIDIA MX150) with big surprise of USB-C in the Clipboard (if they don't go to a 360 flip design); nSP i5 fanless with LTE; more smoke and mirrors about WOA "coming soon."

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've installed it but I haven't figured out how to enable tilt. It's probably limited to a few brushes, but I'll let you know when I do.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Isn't enough clicking next to the size parameter of a brush and set the size to tilt?